19:45

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hi from Annan, Dumfriesshire

Old 23rd August 2012, 18:15

Hi from Annan, Dumfriesshire

Hi John here,

I'm 57 early retired in Annan. I have just got interested in model trains, N gauge, and thought I should extend my interest, to the real thing. I have had an excellent start so far with the help of the model railway club in Dumfries. I am trying to go for the period 1948 to 1965., but maybe a bit of more modern will not go amiss either. Some of the more modern liveries are very attractive to me. I also want to play with lighting on and off the track.

It will also let me brush up on my picture taking, while learning about what makes the railways tick.

My work background was in electrical maintenance with ICI in Dumfries originally, including some work on two diesel locos on site, a Barcly and a Ruston.

On my mother's side, my grandfather was in the signal box at Moffat before the station closed. My uncle worked in various roles at Beattock and Lockerbie. I really should try and find out more about their work LOL.

My other hobby of 30 years is as a radio ham.

I hope I can contribute while learning

Best regards to all,

John

Old 23rd August 2012, 18:45

Hi John
Welcome to the forum from the other side of the county boundary in darkest Lanarkshire!
Used to come down to Dumfries every year for the model railway show but was very disappointed when it folded a couple of years ago. Any plans to resurrect it again?
All the best

Alan
Old 23rd August 2012, 18:54

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the wee reply, I did ask about the model railway show, but there seems to be no likelyhood in the near future, it's more likely that I will be heading up past you to visit one myself.

I just had a quick look at your pics by the way, very nice!

John
Old 23rd August 2012, 18:56

Hi John
Thanks for letting me know - shame that I enjoyed my trip down to Dumfries. Glad you like the photographs

Cheers
Alan
Old 23rd August 2012, 19:10
Station Manager

Hello John and welcome to the Railway Forum. I am going to set up a preserved railway for my layout so that I can run anything I like.
Old 23rd August 2012, 19:23
Station Manager

Hello John and welcome to the forum from a fellow ham, enjoy and all the best. I am in your area as often as I can fishing the River Annan at Greenhill and High Tae. All the best.
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:41

Hi John and a warm welcome from me too. Hope you enjoy all the good banter on this forum, the friendliest one by far!
All the best
Phil
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:14

Hi Syd,
Thanks for the welcome, your preserved layout idea certainly interests me, I will look into that, or maybe even bother you about it again LOL.

Cheers and beers just now

John
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:20

Hi Chriss,
Many thanks for the welcome here, also for the comments on the pics I uploaded. I need to take time out to take some more.

I did clock the callsign, mine is GM6LYJ., I did look you up on QRZdot com also, but I won't dwell too long on radio matters, maybe we can hook up on 2m next time you are up here with the rod. So far I am really enjoying this forum, and the general friendliness I'm finding via railways and the modelling of them. There does seem to be other thinly disguised callsigns on this forum!

Best 73s

John
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:24

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the welcome, these things matter to a newbie like me. I have a lot of learning to do, and it's nice to find willing people to help. I can see you are 100% correct, this is a friendy place with lots of banter,

Take care for now

John