12:09

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

cable thefts

Old 14th December 2009, 19:55

cable thefts

Does anyone have any clues who would actually be so stupid as to try this on?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8411309.stm

It beggars belief that people are so hard up they have to risk their lives for some scrap. I cannot imagine this being vandalism in the true sense of the word - doing something stupid for a laugh - this is plain stealing.

Old 15th December 2009, 09:47

Up the line voltage to a serious level and fry the idiots when they cut the wires,
Maybe not such a good idea though as Elf n Safety no doubt would find fault it being dangerous and some smart lawyer would plead a violation of their human right to steal and gain some fantastic amount of compensation for the relatives.
John (G)
Old 15th December 2009, 15:49

why do they do this, look at the thievs from the clothes shop in wales last week. didnt get them far, 2 ended up being killed
Old 15th December 2009, 22:14

They could always fill the cable trays with huntsman spiders and other quick footed creepy crawlies. Scare the crap out them with any luck - mind you thats a bit close to my turf so spiders would be a no-no in my back yard!!
Old 18th December 2009, 19:44

Sorry but I see now that you cant scare blokes who are prepared to trip the live overhead current and then cut the wire away in broad daylight as at Wickford/Rayleigh section of the Southend line yesterday afternoon. How mad do you have to be to pull that stunt???
Thats 5 raids in the last 12 days all in this region. Moreover, I ran a search on this forum and the cable thefts go back for years & years.
Old 19th December 2009, 23:49

I heard on Thursday, that Romford were very recently asked for Isolation on the GE in broad daylight and GAVE it, so as thieves could Nick the copper.