00:45

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Is there a railway station owners club?

Old 7th November 2009, 18:16

Is there a railway station owners club?

Hi all,

I recently bought the small station master's house of a rural station that served one of the old metre gauge routes of the Réseau Breton in central Brittany (it's still a working station, to boot!). I'm hoping to renovate it back to something near its original condition and, luckily, most of the original features are still intact such as the 'guichet' (ticket window), the waiting room seating and the parcel store scales.

I'm posting here because I'm interested to know if anyone knows of, or has heard of, clubs, groups or associations of individuals who own station buildings. I realise it's a long-shot but it's be comforting to know that there were people around who were involved in the same sort of project or who had completed such a project successfully.

Thanks.

Keith

Old 7th November 2009, 21:32

You could contact the guys at Cromford station in Derbyshire - they did a splendid job (I know because I've stayed there - in the waiting room, which is now a lovely holiday let, but they also renovated the stationmaster's house just behind the station) and they may know of other projects.

http://www.cromfordstationwaitingroom.co.uk/

Keep us updated with your progress, and best of luck!

Pete
Old 21st November 2009, 12:26

A very late reply to your post but I joined the forum only yesterday. The SNCF Society (based in this country) has members who appear to know a great deal about railways in France. Can't promise, but it may be worth at least looking around their website as you've probably already discovered that there isn't the same type of railway enthusiasts' community in France as in this country.