12:28

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Seeking an inclined railway

Old 30th May 2015, 12:54

Seeking an inclined railway

Hi all, I had a Hornby OO as a kid, and went to school on the Hayling Billy, but that's not why I am here. I am very interested in renewable energy (RE), and that needs storage, both to produce electricity at times when the RE is not producing, and also to store energy at times when RE is producing in excess to demand (e.g. on windy nights). There are a couple of big pumped hydro storage installations at Dinorwig and Festinog.

Another way to store energy is by using electric engines and trains on an inclined slope. Here is a site where they are trying to develop this in California http://www.aresnorthamerica.com/

Basically it requires an electric engine, pulling a variable length train filled with rocks. When the Grid is in oversupply, the engine goes up the slope, storing the excess electricity as potential energy. When the Grid needs more power, the train rolls down slope, generating electricity.

So I am hoping that someone here is aware of an unused length of rail (say 1-5 miles?) where we could deploy this technology.

Tags
disused inclined line, electricity storage