10:02

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Iron Duke defeated

Old 27th October 2019, 10:36

Iron Duke defeated

Yesterday saw the much-anticipated Saphos Trains' 'Golden Arrow' railtour from London Victoria to Canterbury and returning via Dover, featuring 70000 'Britannia' running as classmate 70014 'Iron Duke'.
In SR & BR days the 'Golden Arrow' regularly ran from London Victoria to Dover behind a Bulleid pacific or a 'Lord Nelson' 4-6-0, but BR also allocated 2 'Britannia' pacifics to Stewarts Lane Depot to work the 'Arrow' - 70004 'William Shakespeare' & 70014 'Iron Duke'.
However, yesterday's railtour took a different route and unfortunately slipped to a stand on the 1 in 60 Bearsted Bank shortly after passing through Maidstone East at a reported 18mph, which doesn't seem like the best preparation for the climb, and there was no diesel in the formation to assist.
A GBRf class 66 was summoned to assist at the rear of the train and the train eventually arrived at Canterbury more than 3 hours late and had caused major delays to Southeastern services.

Tony

Old 27th October 2019, 14:17

Interesting Tony. I started my career on the South Eastern, and my interest still leans towards their old steam traction of Schools and Bulleids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
However, yesterday's railtour took a different route and unfortunately slipped to a stand on the 1 in 60 Bearsted Bank shortly after passing through Maidstone East at a reported 18mph, which doesn't seem like the best preparation for the climb, and there was no diesel in the formation to assist.
Steep climb in the worst part of the Low Adhesion season? I wonder if they planned that, or if was foisted on them. Either way the outcome was predictable.

Cheers, BW.
Old 27th October 2019, 18:07

Hi BW. This is the common route for railtours in recent years - outbound meandering through South East London and then through Maidstone East & Ashford to Canterbury West; return leg through Dover and then a more direct route through Ashford & Tonbridge and back to Victoria.
I know us steam fans aren't keen, but a diesel on the back might have been a good idea!

Tony
Old 28th October 2019, 07:19

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
I wonder if there will be repercussions about this incident for LSL. The train was twelve coaches, which is two over the limit for a class 7 at this time of year, and that doesn't take into account the severe gradient which should have reduced the load even more for an unassisted run

If ever there was a case for a box on the back then this was it

KEN
Old 29th October 2019, 05:50

AH, I was gunna ask what the load for a Britannia on a 1 in 60 was.
And, just how many hysterical cars were being tugged during this incident.
Our 38 class 4-6-2 were tabled for a max of 310 tons on a 1 in 40 grade.
Though, this load could be increased up to 350 tons depending upon the type of pas job.
And, the particular 1 in 40 grade involved.
The 7 car Central West Eggspress (HUB set) could be worked by a 38'er unassisted climbing Tumulla Bank 1 in 40.
After being shoved onto freight jobs, the load was increased due to longer sectional running times, and banking being required.
The Cowan Bank (1 in 40) 3801 incident had some nefarious ingredients.
While capable of lifting the hysterical special up Cowan Bank, it was subsequently discovered that the train stalled on the climb due to a car handbrake being applied.
It was inferred that this handbrake may have been applied by somebody attempting to make the soot belcher work harder on the climb.
The following emu interurban slammed into the hysterical special after the train was set back dropping sand.
Just a single automatic distant stick protecting the rear of the special.
The pointcop at Hawkesbury River signalbox had assumed that the special was clear and gave the interurban the road to depart.
This incident did impact hysterical tours for some time.
Trains can stall for various reasons.
And such can be devastating.
Steve.