10:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

Sheffield Supertram

Old 18th October 2007, 10:23

Sheffield Supertram

After recently using the Sheffield Supertram for the first time I found it interesting that they run the trams more like Routemaster buses than other tram systems.

By that I mean you buy a ticket from the conductor on board. (There are no ticket machines at tram stops) I didn't travel at a rush hour time so I'm unaware if there are extra conductors on busy trams. Also the tram would not stop between it's first and final stop if there was no-one waiting to board the tram and no-one pressed one of the 'stop' buttons on the trams. That seems a bit pointless during daylight hours as the trams are stopping at every stop to pick up and drop off a number of people.

Old 18th October 2007, 21:42

OK its not trains, but buses, and I hope I dont get struck off the forum !

Your comment about Sheffield public transport not stopping at stops reminded me of when I lived in Sheffield in the late 1970's. The Council had introduced a heavily subsidised uniform bus fare of 2p, which even in those days was ridiculosly cheap:- being about a tenth of a the fare in other towns.

The bus drivers soon realised that the passengers were simply a hassle and inconvenience, as they got paid for running the busses full or empty regardless. It was much easier to not bother picking up passengers and many a time they would drive past a bus stop with people obviously waiting. Or they would stop the bus to let people get off by the middle doors, but refuse to open the front door to let the waiting passengers board because they couldnt be bothered to collect the 2p's.

I had to do a lot of walking in those days. - until I bought an old banger of a car
Old 19th October 2007, 13:18

I must confess to knowing very little about the Sheffield Supertram system, but that's how they do things on the Blackpool trams, and I assume how they did it in the heyday of trams. Is the Sheffield Supertram network a traditional tram system, or is it more like the Metrolink in that it runs over disused railway lines?

Adam
Old 20th October 2007, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post
Your comment about Sheffield public transport not stopping at stops reminded me of when I lived in Sheffield in the late 1970's. The Council had introduced a heavily subsidised uniform bus fare of 2p, which even in those days was ridiculosly cheap:- being about a tenth of a the fare in other towns.
Ah! The great days of the People's Republic of South Yorkshire!
Old 26th October 2007, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post
:- The bus drivers soon realised that the passengers were simply a hassle and inconvenience, as they got paid for running the busses full or empty regardless. It was much easier to not bother picking up passengers and many a time they would drive past a bus stop with people obviously waiting. Or they would stop the bus to let people get off by the middle doors, but refuse to open the front door to let the waiting passengers board because they couldnt be bothered to collect the 2p's.

I had to do a lot of walking in those days. - until I bought an old banger of a car
This has nothing to do with trains, trams etc but I caught the train to Doncaster a few months ago and made onward travel on a double decker bus. I didn't notice that the bus had a middle door until I wanted to get off and had gone to the front of the bus when the driver told me that I had to leave the bus through the middle doors. It's not something I've seen around Stockport or Altrincham where I more often use public transport. While it may help at peak times, doesn't it make it open to abuse if there's a long queue and someone jumps on in the middle while the driver's taking a fare?
Old 26th October 2007, 14:46

I've not come across double deckers with middle doors in Greater Manchester but the bendy buses which are run by first (135 and 471 routes are where I usually see them) have doors at the front of the back section, and they're only opened if the driver can see that someone is waiting to get off. I suppose the drivers just learn to be vigilant aginst that sort of thing

Adam
Old 26th October 2007, 19:00

What they used to do as I remember was draw up at the stop. First open the middle doors to let people off. Then close them when they saw the last passenger had left, and then open the front doors (or not) to let new people on.

So if you were a bit tardy getting up to get off, you could find the exit doors were suddenly closed in your face and you would have to try ringing the bell again. When the driver would look in the mirror, glare at you, and refuse to open the doors again for you on a point of principle.

Happy Days.

Last edited by Shed Cat; 26th October 2007 at 19:05.
Old 27th October 2007, 12:25

Now that Stagecoach have the East Mids franchise, perhaps they could introduce Sheffield tickets that allow access onto the supertrams or something since they operate them.
Old 28th October 2007, 15:36

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks View Post
Now that Stagecoach have the East Mids franchise, perhaps they could introduce Sheffield tickets that allow access onto the supertrams or something since they operate them.
Yes that would be a good idear but they already have a Scratch offticket in South Yorkshire that can be used on the Supertram.

But wi would lie to see how they aare getting on with the Manchester Trams also if trams where to come back to lIverpool do we think that Stagcoach will Opertate them and possibley invest some money into it.

As this seems the only way we will get trams back in Liverpool and if Mersey Travel Stop wasting Money on daft things lIke the S1 S2 S3 Bus Routes and those silly adverts on the Buses.
Old 29th October 2007, 10:50

On th subject of Metrolink, I wonder if Stagecoac will chage a few things to make it similar to other tram network like the Sheffield Supertram. Most times I use the Metrolink I never see a conductor onboard, bt for the one day I used a varety of Sheffield suptrams there was a conductor obaord all of them.