08:32

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Freight in France

Old 20th July 2011, 18:57

Freight in France

Having joined this Forum today, I read with much interest some of the threads and I have seen the photos that members have posted which led me to write my first posting.
I have a passion for railway photography, especially freight, so I hope to show you some of my photos over the weeks and months.
I've always had an interest in freight and railways in general and not so long ago moved to western France after living in NE Lincolnshire and Leicestershire.
In the UK I knew my way round the railway system, but now I'm 'lost in France' when it comes to finding suitable locations to take photos. Having said that though, I was somewhat surprised to see an EWS Class 66 at my local town (Parthenay) which is now a disused station. Then last weekend, I went to Saumur and discovered some wonderful stations and trains in that area. And today, after seeing the beautiful photo of Limoges Benedictins Station, I know where my next day out will be.
Does anyone have any knowledge of the French Freight (fret) railway system or can anyone recommend a book - the French equivalent of Locomotive and Coaching Stock, preferably in English as I don't speak French.
I do hope someone can guide me in the right direction.

Old 20th July 2011, 19:13

Welcome to the forum.
Look forward to your posting from France.
Old 20th July 2011, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel French View Post
Having joined this Forum today, I read with much interest some of the threads and I have seen the photos that members have posted which led me to write my first posting.
I have a passion for railway photography, especially freight, so I hope to show you some of my photos over the weeks and months.
I've always had an interest in freight and railways in general and not so long ago moved to western France after living in NE Lincolnshire and Leicestershire.
In the UK I knew my way round the railway system, but now I'm 'lost in France' when it comes to finding suitable locations to take photos. Having said that though, I was somewhat surprised to see an EWS Class 66 at my local town (Parthenay) which is now a disused station. Then last weekend, I went to Saumur and discovered some wonderful stations and trains in that area. And today, after seeing the beautiful photo of Limoges Benedictins Station, I know where my next day out will be.
Does anyone have any knowledge of the French Freight (fret) railway system or can anyone recommend a book - the French equivalent of Locomotive and Coaching Stock, preferably in English as I don't speak French.
I do hope someone can guide me in the right direction.
Hi Rachel, and Welcome! Yes, there is such a book, by Platform 5; here's a link to it on the Amazon site. It's in English, and contains everything you'd expect, but it doesn't include loco-hauled coaching stock (there's too many - although there IS a book by Public Transport Images that does, but there are no photos in their books). The link is:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Railw.../dp/1902336658

I've spent loads of time chasing trains all over France, mainly between 1988 and 1994, and mostly visiting loco depots (lots and lots); you can find some photos here:-
http://daverowland.smugmug.com/RAILW...-Railways-1988

There will be thousands more SNCF photos added, but I'm catching up with a new website after Fotopic went bust. So far I've re-uploaded about 15,000 photos, but there's about another 15,000 still to do!
Enjoy the forum.

PS: Not sure about the SNCF freight scene in general, sorry.

Last edited by Dave Rowland; 20th July 2011 at 19:23. Reason: forgot important getail
Old 20th July 2011, 20:42

Hi Rachel

We see a fair bit on our way down to Montedre when I'm fit enough that is but as I was usually the one driving there's not a lot of chance to gaze out of the window but

I do remember some serious yards around Tours and Bordeaux

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 20th July 2011, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
Hi Rachel

We see a fair bit on our way down to Montedre when I'm fit enough that is but as I was usually the one driving there's not a lot of chance to gaze out of the window but

I do remember some serious yards around Tours and Bordeaux
I'd forgotten about freight yards (triages)! There are, as you say, large yards at Tours (St Pierre des Corps), Dijon Perrigny, Miramas (near Marseille), La Guillotierre (Lyon), Bordeaux, Nantes Blottereau, Dunquerque Grande Synthe, Lille la Delivrance, Woippy (near Metz), Metz Sablon, Calais, Les Aubrais, Juvisy (near Paris), to name but a few. Most of these have nearby busy depots and/or stabling points.
Old 20th July 2011, 21:21

Thanks you all for your replies. I've been on Amazon and sorted the Platform 5 book out which will really get me going. Thanks also for the suggestions on freight yards - some of them are a bit far away for an afternoon trip but I'm sure I'll get round to all of them sooner or later. I've just started to give myself Sundays off for leisure pursuits so I think it'll be a trip to Tours this weekend. A few years ago whilst on holiday in France I remember visiting a friend whose garden backed on to the main Tours to Nantes line and I recall seeing a train pass by every 10 minutes. I always promised myself a trip to that area again so here goes!
I'll keep you posted.
Old 20th July 2011, 21:22
Station Manager

Hello Rachel and welcome to the Railway Forum. I see Dave has already posted to you with he wide knowledge of France. Sorry but I have only seen France from the air, so am not a lot of help.
Old 20th July 2011, 21:49

Quote:
Thanks you all for your replies. I've been on Amazon and sorted the Platform 5 book out which will really get me going. Thanks also for the suggestions on freight yards - some of them are a bit far away for an afternoon trip but I'm sure I'll get round to all of them sooner or later. I've just started to give myself Sundays off for leisure pursuits so I think it'll be a trip to Tours this weekend. A few years ago whilst on holiday in France I remember visiting a friend whose garden backed on to the main Tours to Nantes line and I recall seeing a train pass by every 10 minutes. I always promised myself a trip to that area again so here goes!
I'll keep you posted.
Tours (St Pierre des Corps) has a SERIOUS main road along side a long stretch of the yard as I found out due to a diversion off the A10 one year

Old 20th July 2011, 22:03

Quote:
I'll keep you posted.
You might not get to see a lot of freights on a Sunday. The best days for freights almost EVERYWHERE (including the UK) is Tuesdays to Fridays. The main lines near where you live (I looked it up!) are the Paris to Nantes line, between Tours and Nantes, the Nantes to Bordeaux line, and the Paris to Bordeaux line between Blois and Poitiers. If you go to Tours, DON'T go to Tours, go to Tours-St Pierre des Corps, many trains bypass Tours itself. If you're driving, see if you can find a position/bridge overlooking the massive yard north of TSP des Corps station. Bon chance!
Old 21st July 2011, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
, DON'T go to Tours, go to Tours-St Pierre des Corps, many trains bypass Tours itself. If you're driving, see if you can find a position/bridge overlooking the massive yard north of TSP des Corps station. Bon chance!
IF you get chance good luck but there is a lot of stored loco's still there apparently which block the view of the yard

You may be better off on the Station at Pierre des Corps as we saw very few over bridges if any from what I remember

Tags
diesel, electric, france, freight, fret