15:22

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

Bollington: a new era!

Closed Thread

Old 15th August 2009, 11:42

Yes He is trying but there is something wrong with the email with the activation codes I think in that it hasnt turned up, but he can still put messages through me.
Let me explain.
When he wants to send a message he can just say
lordm : and message....

Old 15th August 2009, 14:09

I would recomend that people interested look up the light railways acts of 1896 and 1912 which supports the case and helps understanding of whats involved.
Old 15th August 2009, 14:39

How would people feel if a traction engne hauled a passenger trailer to lyme park?
Old 15th August 2009, 18:31

Now that the line exmaination draws closer, are case becomes stronger.
Now that the light railways act of 1896 and 1912 are now going to be brought up in the main speech, we would like to ask you what you would like to be read in the speach (please something that helps the case please) and shows the wider opinion of enthusiasts.
Old 15th August 2009, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
How would people feel if a traction engne hauled a passenger trailer to lyme park?
A traction engine might cause traffic jams and prove unpopular with some of the locals. Personally I would stick with the vintage bus and let the visitors get their steam experience from the train journey.
I've been thinking (very dangerous ) Wasn't Lord Millet a founder member of HOLTS (the House of Lords trainspotters society) together with Lord Cotswold and Lord Black?
Old 15th August 2009, 22:15

Nine miles is quite a length. Do you have any plans regarding passing loops?
Old 16th August 2009, 01:46

Steam for Ever, thank you for your private message in response to my post. You've covered a lot of ground since - all very informative and convincing.

I was keen to find out more about the meeting as I didn't want to miss out with there being only 50 seats at the Methodist Church - I was going to call them but luckily I noticed you'd said they didn't know anything about this yet. Sorry, I see in a later post you're going for 150 in the main function room but have you considered how you will cope if thousands do indeed turn up?

This Bollington railway thing is a massive project and will involve mind boggling amounts of funding given your outline of what will happen. I think a good turnout at the meeting will be important so shouldn't you think about a bigger venue - what about one of Manchesters football stadiums?

I see locos appear to be high priority - good stuff - a South African Garratt and Heritage diesels on 2 ft guage is intriguing - that'll bring in the crowds. However I'm not clear on your final loco decisions - you listed possible manufacturers but you then said your first loco has been found. Is it the Garratt?

Are you confident the Heritage Lottery guys will fund the loco ahead of somewhere to run it - I heard from another railway friend that they wouldn't part with the funds until their head honcho had actually driven their loco (the guy almost wrecked it as he was so useless he kept distracting the fireman who then didn't keep an eye on the water level in the boiler - he did manage to fry an egg on the shovel however.)

I've got some books on how to drive a steam loco - do you want to borrow them for when your lottery bods pitch up?

Another thing to consider is the Health and Safety Executive - they might have a view on steam trains running right alongside a cycleway and footpath but I suppose your chum Lord Millett will have these boys in his pocket already.

I see you guys are having real bad luck with your computers right now - Lord Millett with his activation codes and you having to use your nephews computer (I saw your separate post). With the problems you're having maybe PC World will feel obliged to make a donation to the railway. The short guy with the specs at the service counter in our local PC World branch likes trains, I often see him waiting for one.

By the way John, Swisstrains, I remember reading somewhere that a disillusioned member of HOLTS actually challenged Beeching to a duel on the lawn outside the House of Lords when he heard his local railway was to be axed. Press got a hold of the story putting the future of the Society in some doubt and it went Underground for a while. It was a godsend for the then Minister for Transport, Earnest Marples, who was very much a "roads" man and anti railway who took the opportunity of describing such railway enthusiasts as "unbalanced nutters in need of help" - much to be learned from that.

Mike
Old 17th August 2009, 12:46

Heres something I should mention, it isnt that lord Millet. It is lord Millett who is a completely different person. Sorry for the confusion.
Sadly we cannot get a football stadium as it is far too expensive .
Old 17th August 2009, 13:26

The email to the Cheshire east council has been sent now and we wait eagerly for a reply. The founders meeting today went well and we know where we are heading. In any case we shall wait for the reply to the email and only then will we give the dates for the meetings. Still our case is strong and we hope for a bright future.
Now that the council is involved, it has all become serious so keep your eye out for future installments.
Old 17th August 2009, 17:06

Oh to answer the question about passing loops.
Yes we will have them mainly at stations but also one for busy times such as galas between Bollington and Higher poynton. Chances are we will put a halt here for country walkers. Even without this we will still have four stations:
Bollington, Higher poynton, Middlewood high level and one side of rose hill marple if network rail will permit us. If not we will go for a station just after the sandard gauge buffers. Of course we will try to put a passing loop if there is a demand for it, but we also want to leave room for the path.