12:06

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Freight Flows Through Manchester Terminals

Old 24th January 2009, 21:25

Did anyone see the hot oil train that ran every evening in the 80s with double headed 56s sometimes with new builds 56s I seen 56133 new build with an early build 56 at MILLS HILL

Old 24th January 2009, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Did anyone see the hot oil train that ran every evening in the 80s with double headed 56s sometimes with new builds 56s I seen 56133 new build with an early build 56 at MILLS HILL
I remember one of the Stanlow-Jarrow fuel oil trains was hauled by double-headed 56's. I used to see it leaving the refinery in the early evening. Was this the one?
Old 29th July 2011, 18:20

I recall this movement, and I seem to remember that it was pulled by two class 47's.
This train was derailed on the hump top at HM, and the engines were off all wheels.
It would appear that the driver took the wrong dolly and went through the traps protecting the mail line, thereby depositing himself on the muck.
Old 29th July 2011, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Not sure of the frequency but I think the EWS steel traffic from Healey Mills to Mostyn Docks and the coal traffic from Healey Mills to Penyffordd is routed via Victoria.
This traffic goes by Stalybridge, Guide Bridge, Stockport , Northwhich and Chester. recessing at Hollywell Jct.
Old 29th July 2011, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains
Not sure of the frequency but I think the EWS steel traffic from Healey Mills to Mostyn Docks and the coal traffic from Healey Mills to Penyffordd is routed via Victoria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HM181 View Post
This traffic goes by Stalybridge, Guide Bridge, Stockport , Northwhich and Chester. recessing at Hollywell Jct.
Since this thread was first started the EWS steel traffic to Mostyn Docks has ceased. The Penyffordd coal trains still run but are routed via Warrington and I assume, Manchester Victoria although it's possible that they reach Warrington via Northwich and the WCML.
Old 15th May 2012, 21:30

Dennis , the Onion Knife and a failed 56.

Quite some years ago I had to go from Manchester Vic Mess room , with my favourite driver called Dennis who was an ex 56B/56A man .
For Dennis 14hour+ shifts were the norm, so everyone had to do the same or Dennis got a little ill tempered.
Dennis and I were asked to go to the Bay platforms to pick up a Class 56 to take to Warrington and bring back a train to HM.
They stored locos in the Bays in those days, as it was years before the trams took over these platforms.
Dennis would make overtime at any excuse.
We then set sail from Vic towards Eccles, this was before the run round road was put in on the up road.
As we were approaching Eccles down distant, the Class 56 expired and stopped dead.
As we were near Eccles box,went back and protected the light engine.
Dennis got on the SPT to the box, and it was arranged for a Class 47 to come from VIC to rescue the failed 56.
After an age with the down line was a que of traffic waiting for the road.
When the 47 came, I picked up the dets, and conducted the driver onto the failed engine.
I hooked the 47 onto the 56, complete with the air brake pipes.
The driver off the 47 agreed a method of work and what we were going to do.
Plan:- propell the 56 to Ashton Moss SB, and cross over on the main to main, then back to Newton Heath and dump the engine, then back home to The Mill on the 0215hrs York Papers and off at the Mill
All this took time and eventually we managed to get back to Vic and get on the papers.
Some years after when I saw Dennis now retired, and he told me why the 56 failed, something to do with a coolant pipe in the engine room had been damaged, but Dennis assured he did not do this evil damage with his onion knife. He told me this with a smile and a wink of the eye.
This time would have been in the mid 1980's before the Worksop Maffia brought in the horrid smell of privatisation to HM the best Depot on BR.
Dennis would be now 85 years old and still lookes after his little onion knife.
Old 16th May 2012, 17:41

Hi HM181,
Nice story. Know the area well- made it all the more enjoyable.
Old 16th May 2012, 19:31

Many more little railway memories, in the days where a train was a train, and if it hit you it hurt, not a plastic in sight.
Old 27th March 2013, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks View Post
I might be wrong, but I'm not sure if freight is now banned from the Bolton line because of the sheer volume of passenger movements (specially in the area of Salford Crescent). A far cry from the days when the succession of parcel vans for Red Bank Carriage Sidings used to ply the route to places like Bolton, Preston, Barrow & Glasgow.
I thought there was still a binlinner from just through Salford cresent there's a rail haed at the tip and there used to be a stone terminal further up from it, you used to see 66s regular uop there
Old 29th March 2013, 03:24

Ive got frend who works at Stanlow,he said the "new owners" of Shell in Ellesmere port are going back to oil tanker trains soon,plans have been put forward....