18:43

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Manchester Victoria - Blackpool North

Old 8th October 2008, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks View Post
Theres been strong rumours that Northern might be getting Class 180 DMUs to operate on Victoria - Blackpools. If true it would certainly give TPX a run for their money as the 180's are of a good Intercity standard. I suspect it would probably be used on one of the busy peak hour runs.........................
Looks like the rumours are correct. A Class 180 was seen at Newton Heath yesterday.

Old 9th October 2008, 20:43

Out of all the rumours of where these Adalantes are heading, I had doubts for the Northern one, but looks like anything can happen. Will be very strange considering the stock Northern are using for the majority of long distance operations. Will be really the 'odd one(s) out' of the stock.
Old 16th October 2008, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks View Post
Out of all the rumours of where these Adalantes are heading, I had doubts for the Northern one, but looks like anything can happen. Will be very strange considering the stock Northern are using for the majority of long distance operations. Will be really the 'odd one(s) out' of the stock.
http://nwrp.fotopic.net/p54159792.html

The first 180 has indeed arrived at Newton Heath. I imagine it'll be used on the Victoria - Blackpool 'Club' service from December 14th.

Intercity standards of comfort from Victoria are possible once again.
Old 17th October 2008, 12:45

I like the idea of it on the Blackpool route. Also means any pax doing Blackpool-Euston via Preston can get FC all the way, possibly an integrated advanced ticket with Virgin too. If it goes out before any exterior refurbishment, will be the return of the 'cigar liveried' trains to Blackpool.
Old 19th October 2008, 10:40

Found an interesting webby to visit about Preston station

http://www.prestonstation.org.uk/
Old 21st October 2008, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks View Post
I like the idea of it on the Blackpool route. Also means any pax doing Blackpool-Euston via Preston can get FC all the way, possibly an integrated advanced ticket with Virgin too. If it goes out before any exterior refurbishment, will be the return of the 'cigar liveried' trains to Blackpool.
Yep, it will look like Blackpool has Intercity services back again, which I suppose theoretically it does, certainly in terms of rolling stock. I must get down to Blackpool or Manchester next year to try to have a ride on one!
Old 4th November 2008, 12:08

It seems both Victoria & Piccadilly will see class 180 diagrams - The Piccadilly ones form the Hazel Grove - Preston service & The Victoria ones the new Blackpool service.

These are the times (pinched from another forum!) for the Hazel Grove - Preston diagrams:

06:53 Blackpool North to Hazel Grove (arrive 08:45)
09:33 Hazel Grove to Preston (arrive 10:50)
ECS to Blackpool
ECS back to Preston around 14:00
14:23 Preston to Hazel Grove (15:45)
16:33 Hazel Grove to Preston (arrive 17:50)

Manchester Victoria - Blackpool North diagrams:

Seems to be 0718, 1120, 1520, 1920 from Blackpool. And 0922, 1322. 1720, 2122 off Manchester Victoria.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:17

Cool, I can't wait to see these in operation. Any chance we can convince Northern rail to send them express to Sheffield after Haz Grove? Free up those crowded 185s and 158s.
Old 20th November 2008, 12:41

http://www.northernrail.org/pdfs/tim...0081117/20.pdf

Link to the new Manchester - Blackpool (Northern) timetable. I see in the evenings the services almost exclusively use Victoria. An hourly service on Sundays too, nice.
Old 20th November 2008, 19:33

I was rather dissapointed when I saw this, washoping they would be on express runs but looks like local stopping. Never mind, will still be good to see them running. I just can't invision an intercity manufactured train calling at Woodsmoore..just got to see this!