07:30

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Loco haulage North Wales Coast

Old 12th December 2007, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
Surely though, TnT Class 37/4s and Mk3 stock must provide good performance?
Yes Dave,
I'm sure, if properly maintained, they would provide great performance and with Mk3's it would be a very comfortable ride but I think the combination would be far too expensive for the TOC's

The Class 67 and stock on the North Wales Coast is now looking even less likely as ATW are planning to reinstate 2 x Class 150 units that are currently stored at Cardiff Canton.

Old 12th December 2007, 13:07

Oh no, surely not. We have gone from comfortable loco hauled, to concistent intercity DMU, to 150s! I don't think this is going to at all please passengers.
Old 12th December 2007, 15:36

Arriva Trains Wales Class 150's are pretty good i have been on the ex Scot Rail and the ex Valley Lines ones and i tell you they are 10 times better than anything Northern Provide with the exeption of 150's 268 to 274 and the Merseyrail 142's which are ok some of the ex ARRIVA 142's arn't two bad but yet Northern just havent got the comon sense about using the right train for the right job / route.

Unlike ARRIVA they seem to know what they are doing and i think they will probably use the Loco haul and give there customers a good service alotogh they may use the 150's on other Services and free up more 175's for the Manchester - Holyhead Route etc.

ps, Please remid me of when / what date it starts !
Old 15th December 2007, 12:07

Slightly off topic but Arriva Trains Wales have now started to apply a new livery to their 175's.
175008 was the first to be out-shopped on Thursday. Nothing very exciting about the livery.....just the standard Arriva turquoise with the cream segment around the cabs.

Last edited by swisstrains; 22nd December 2007 at 15:25. Reason: Extra info added.
Old 28th December 2007, 14:18

Probablyu a little late but just before Christmass i had an email back from Arriva Trains Wales which said that they were not going ahead with the Loco Haul Services nor where there any plans to use the Class 180's.

So prehaps Northern could snap up the 180's and replace some of those decrepid 156's as some i have been on recently have been in a bit of a mess one of them an ex NORTHERN SPIRIT one had somodd carpets and were heavily soiled and most of thenm don't have working toilets.
Old 28th December 2007, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
..................So prehaps Northern could snap up the 180's and replace some of those decrepid 156's ..................
You can but live in hope John