16:50

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Sand train derails in King's Lynn

Old 15th November 2013, 16:10

Sand train derails in King's Lynn

News is coming in on BBC Radio Norfolk, that a sand train has derailed between Kings Lynn and Downham Market. From what has been said so far, it close to the entrance/exit of the station at Lynn, at the Tennyson Avenue level crossing.

Last edited by bramleyman; 15th November 2013 at 16:37.
Old 17th November 2013, 10:12

Any updates on that one Bramleyman? Like what loco and how it happened?
Cheers
Phil
Old 17th November 2013, 11:33

Found a couple of news items Phil:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-24961766

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/trains_f...sing_1_3007586

Trains running again it seems, but no mention of which loco is involved.

Tony
Old 17th November 2013, 23:08

Hi Tony and thanks for the links. Looks a bit of a mess but glad no one was hurt. A lot of disruption around Lynn too.
Be interesting to know what happened and why?
Cheers
All the best
Phil
Old 19th November 2013, 23:34

Hello SFP, sorry I never got back to you on this. I would assume it was one of the GBRF Class 66's as these are used almost daily on these trains.

To correct the press facts, the photo of the derailed wagons, was actually taken on the old docks line and behind Morrison's, after coming from Middleton Towers. The level crossing does actually cross Tennyson Avenue, whereas Tennyson Road, is after a mini roundabout towards London on the same road. Between leaving the branch from Middleton and travelling into the yard, the line passes adjacent to that used by FCC units to London.

Enquiries are going on, but as usual, some people have jumped to conclusion already as to why, and one I actually heard say on Saturday: "A mate of mine said a door on one of the wagons opened and discharged the sand as it went over the crossing, derailing those behind.". I will await the enquiry and get the truth.
Old 20th November 2013, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramleyman View Post
Hello SFP, sorry I never got back to you on this. I would assume it was one of the GBRF Class 66's as these are used almost daily on these trains.
Are you sure ? Middleton Towers sand trains are operated by DB Schenker and FLHH, and those wagons look like the stubby DBS ones (FL ones are usually longer and have their name on them).

There was a Road/Rail vehicle being delivered to the station on a road trailer on Monday, and as I went past the sand train it looked like the derailed vehicles were located near the run-round points. Didn't look like the road had spread though, which is what I was expecting.

Time will tell no doubt.

HTH
Old 20th November 2013, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby View Post
Are you sure ? Middleton Towers sand trains are operated by DB Schenker and FLHH, and those wagons look like the stubby DBS ones (FL ones are usually longer and have their name on them).

There was a Road/Rail vehicle being delivered to the station on a road trailer on Monday, and as I went past the sand train it looked like the derailed vehicles were located near the run-round points. Didn't look like the road had spread though, which is what I was expecting.

Time will tell no doubt.

HTH
When I have been on a train to Lynn, they normally are GBRF on them, but then again, as far as I have been informed, some days there are 2 trains.

Old 1st December 2013, 22:36

depends on the location the the freight services depends on the operator, so its a mixture of GB and DB, i heard it was a DB freight service that derailed, but one thing i can deffo tell you it caused a bit of trouble at London Liverpool Street and Tottenham Hale that there was no service to Kings Lynn.

talking of the fen line, what is happening to Littleport and Downham Market signal boxes? are they staying or being taken over by Cambridge box?

Abellio Greater Anglia (Ilford Depot)
Old 2nd December 2013, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by railwaybuddy View Post
depends on the location the the freight services depends on the operator, so its a mixture of GB and DB, i heard it was a DB freight service that derailed, but one thing i can deffo tell you it caused a bit of trouble at London Liverpool Street and Tottenham Hale that there was no service to Kings Lynn.
Nope. DB Schenker currently runs the Middleton Sand train service. Train reporting numbers are currently 6M88 and 6E88. Drivers over this section are based at Peterborough, and use KL depot for their PNB point.

Quote:
talking of the fen line, what is happening to Littleport and Downham Market signal boxes? are they staying or being taken over by Cambridge box?
It's more drastic than that. NR plans to save massive amounts of money by closing down vast numbers of boxes and replacing tham with a handful of RSCs.

The long term plan is for all Fen Line boxes (Kings Lynn, Magdelan Rd, Downham Mkt, Littleport & Cambridge) to be replaced by Romford Railway Signalling Centre.

The first step of this is that Fen line now has GSM-r operating, so the NRN and CSR analogue radio systems will soon be closed down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Romford Recorder

The new rail operating centre in Romford will open on land to the east of Jutsums Lane in 2014.

It will eventually control the entire railway in the Anglia region, covering parts of London, Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire.

The site is one 14 centres planned to replace all other operating sites across the whole of Britain.

Network Rail says the new centre will create different jobs, as signallers will be responsible for larger sections of the network using the latest technology instead of Victorian infrastructure.
Link here....http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/new...plan_1_1786123

HTH, Beeyar

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 2nd December 2013 at 21:55.
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:54

According to local paper and a couple of magazines on railways, Downham Market signal box is to be taken out of use, then Preserved.