20:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

London Overground Questions

Old 8th April 2009, 23:44

London Overground Questions

I encountered London Overground for the first time today, when I caught up with the second last day of service at Stratford Low Level. I have a couple of questions

1) do LO have their own livery ? All the stock I saw was still in Silverlink livery.

2) all stations had signs in orange and white, but almost all of the nameboards have small writing in the bottom right corner saying "temporary sign" ! What's that all about ?

3) got off at Camden Road, and was surprised to the see the 313 unit switch from 3rd rail to overhead. Is that normal at that point ?

Old 9th April 2009, 13:49
SOUTHEASTERN-465

Question

is it me or the new london overground class 378s look exactly like the class 172 under production at derby,strange but true!
Old 9th April 2009, 13:51
SOUTHEASTERN-465

Smile livery

and anser to your quistion london overground does have its own livery its on the new 378s
Old 9th April 2009, 13:53
SOUTHEASTERN-465

Question the sign

but ive never traveled on them but he sign you saw with orange and white is simular to there livery,but i cant explain 'temprary' sign
Old 9th April 2009, 20:09
Station Manager

Question for Southeastern-465, Why do you use 3 posting within a few minutes of each other, all on the same subject. I have noticed that you do this quite a lot. In one case you posted 3 times in 3 minutes.
Old 10th April 2009, 13:44
SOUTHEASTERN-465

Smile

i dont know its when i forget to write somthing,then have to write it again because i cant bother editing it,or in the other case its based on the same subject,but if i write it in one forum it wouldnt make sense,im also a big fan of you on this site when did you first get into railways and why?
SouthEastern-465,NSERS member,
__________________________________________________ ____
Network-SouthEast 1984-1996 'old,late,and dirty' the good years of the southern!

Last edited by SOUTHEASTERN-465; 10th April 2009 at 13:52.
Old 10th April 2009, 17:02

Lightbulb

I never go on the London Overground even though I only live a few miles away from it (it's not that I don't like it. it just doesn't go anywhere I want to go) but I know quite a lot about it.

Transport for London bought it off silverlink and branded it part of the London Underground network (but it isn't underground so they called it the overground) so they have the same livery to london underground, but because their fleet of 313s is due for replacement any day soon (by 378s), I expect they cannot be bothered to liverise their whole fleet when it's just about to be replaced.

About the signs, LU have a different colour or colours for each line, and orange and white are the colours of the LO. I expect the 'Temporary Sign' is something to do with the massive upgrade that the LO network is going under. They're redoing all the stations and building an extention out to the east (through Brunel's tunnel under the Thames!).

It does seem very odd that some parts of the LO are 3rd rail while others are overhead, but actually, the line was electrified along with some parts of the Southern network, which is all 3rd rail DC. When the northern network was electrified, some sections were converted to overhead AC. but they never got round to converting the whole line. I don't know exactly the places where it changes, but camden road must be one of them.

You might also like to know why the 313s have such a low headroom and sunken pantograph trough (if you look in the middle carriage of each unit you will see the lower cieling at one end). this is because they are also used for inner-suburban services on the hertford loop and southern ECML (where I use them) there is a branch off at Finsbury park to moorgate down a former branch of the Northern line (LU) the tunnel has a very low headroom, hence the need for 3rd rail power transmission and a low cieling.
Old 10th April 2009, 20:13
Station Manager

Southeastern-465, in answer to your question "when did you first get into railways and why?" have a look at the site below. You can also go into the members list and look up all the threads started by me. They will give you some more information about my love of railways.

http://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=78
Old 11th April 2009, 13:22
SOUTHEASTERN-465

Red face sorry sid

can i just apologise to sid,for my swearing,its just i didnt mean to affend anyone but i hope you can forgive me,
SouthEastern-465,Nsers member
Old 12th April 2009, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECML43 View Post
You might also like to know why the 313s have such a low headroom and sunken pantograph trough (if you look in the middle carriage of each unit you will see the lower cieling at one end). this is because they are also used for inner-suburban services on the hertford loop and southern ECML (where I use them) there is a branch off at Finsbury park to moorgate down a former branch of the Northern line (LU) the tunnel has a very low headroom, hence the need for 3rd rail power transmission and a low cieling.
Thanks for the info, but I did already know that. I was on the last train out of Broad St to Finsbury Park back in 1977, after all !