03:02

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

PTE trains

Old 3rd March 2008, 10:06

PTE trains

I'm aware of Northern Rail having both Merseytravel 142s and Metro 144s, 155s and 158s. It seems that any of these (except the 155s) can be used on a route not in the relevant PTE area. Although I'm aware that some 142s have been cascased off lines in Merseyside and some seem to have been moved across the Pennines, to be replaced by 156s, but all the Metro trains seem to be based in Leeds. Do PTEs state that PTE sponsored trains must be used on a certain number of services in the relevant area?

Old 4th March 2008, 11:45

Why can't 155's go on other routes ! and also please do not use the 15*s word ! "they hurt my ears event just some one mentioning 15*"
Old 6th March 2008, 13:01

It's some of the refurbished 150s that hurt my ears as they have a extra loud peeping sound as the doors close, as well as 142s on corners and level crossings.
Old 8th March 2008, 15:08

Yeh i know what you mean about pacers on tight corners but when you have lived with them for over 20years then i think you get used to it.

Also i know with the tight corner on the way in / out to from St.Helens Central they done a lot of work on this to reduce the noise and isnt so bad anymore just noticable for a few seconds a minute ot two at the longest.

Also with regards to PTE Sponsored Trains it is just part of the Sponsorship Contract that decides wheather they can go on other routes or not.

And with Northerns Fleet being a multi regional fleet then i think the Sponsorship of six 156's for the WIGAN-LIVERPOOL route is just for the up keep and genral running of the units ie FUEL, Cleaning etc for the units used per day on that route.
Old 12th March 2008, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
Why can't 155's go on other routes ! and also please do not use the 15*s word ! "they hurt my ears event just some one mentioning 15*"
155s aren't all that dis-similar to 156s which are supposed to be for long distance, limited stop routes. Manchester Victoria to Leeds seems to have stops very frequently, so I don't know why 155s were put on that route.
Old 15th March 2008, 09:03

the remaining 155's were sponsered by wypte so are always going to be on wypte routes cos no-one else wants them, after all there is only seven of them. what I am curious about though, is why only the 333 and 321/9 units are keeping a wypte livery when everything else is going purple/blue. and lets face it the 321 livery is, frankly, awful!

Well done for making it past that today!