10:31

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Pendolino is not fit for purpose.

Old 9th January 2012, 23:27

Did u travel on one of the old pendolino or the new alstorm one???

Abellio Greater Anglia (Ilford Depot)
Old 11th January 2012, 20:33

I took my Daughter and Husband on a steam hauled trip with dinner on the GCR last year and they commented on how great the seating was compared to the modern, cramped, airline style, coaches of today. If only we could go back to those good old days!!!
Regards
Phil
Old 12th January 2012, 12:56

I travelled up from Kent the other day on a South Eastern service (to watch Crystal Palace play Cardiff in the Carling Cup, if you must know) and was appalled at how uncomfortable the train was. Thank heaven I no longer have to commute to London every day. Looking back to when I was a Tonbridge–London regular even the old VEP units were OK, and the CEPs were positively luxurious.
Old 12th January 2012, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimbleshanks View Post
If you take an economy class aircraft cabin as your model, no wonder you've got problems.
When I do sit in an economy class aircraft seat, I always notice how much more room there is for my legs than in the train which carried me to the airport. The aircraft is positively comfortable compared to the train. When you go to a heritage railway and see an old Mk 1 carriage, it's difficult to remember that train travel used to me so civilised.
Old 12th January 2012, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponderman View Post
Went to Liverpool standard class on pendolino, felt more cramped than a class 375/9 with 2+3 seating, next time I go Liverpool I will go as far as is possible on a LM train and get whatever else to Liverpool.
London Midland go to Liverpool from Birmingham NS. Two trains per hour during the day.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:12

I have to be fair to Virgin. I travelled on a Pendolino yesterday first class to Carlisle.

The seats in this line up with the windows and the service was excellent free tea coffee and a hot meal.

If you are an oldie like me and have railcard its well worth checking the deals, I am coming back on East Coastfrom Edinburgh to London 1st class for £47.50