18:05

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hi all, i need help Identifying an unusual glass station sign??

Old 24th September 2020, 20:49

Hi all, i need help Identifying an unusual glass station sign??

Hi im Ben, i run a general auction in mid wales, i have had a quantity of good railwayana come in for our next sale including totems, cabside plates ect. I have found info about most through online research, however there is one curious cast iron & glass sign which i can not find any details on or any other example similar through research. The sign says Cwm which i researched as a small closed down train station in south wales. I presume it may be a platform sign which may have been lit up as the cwm part is white and light passes through it. Any other info on this piece would be greatly appreciated as i have seen no other station/platform sign similar.

Many thanks

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200921_145139.jpg (46.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200921_145211.jpg (41.1 KB, 12 views)

Old 26th September 2020, 09:08

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
I've never seen a sign like this before either. I'd never heard of Cwm either, but a quick search reveals it was on the Newport to Ebbw Vale line. This was originally part of a small operation called The Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Co.

It's possible that the sign dates back to those early days before it became part of the Great Western Railway in 1875. I doubt that the sign was a GWR addition to the station. If it was I'd assume signs of a similar design from other stations would be more commonly seen at auction, bearing in mind that the GWR was a far larger operation
One problem with this theory. If it was meant to be back lit, would there be a suitably bright light source to make it effective back in the day's before electric light

KEN