22:56

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

2 dead and dozens injured as trains collide in village of Milavce in western Czech Re

Old 4th August 2021, 10:36

2 dead and dozens injured as trains collide in village of Milavce in western Czech Re

Two trains have collided in Milavce village in the Czech Republic, near the town of Domazlice on the western border, killing two and injuring over 30. Rescue services are at the scene.
Shortly after 8am (6am GMT,) the trains collided in Milavce, near Domazlice in the Czech Republic's west, the country’s police force said on Twitter.

“Unfortunately, at this moment we have confirmed that two people lost their lives at the scene of the railway accident,” the police said in a tweet.

“We have the site of the intervention divided into two sections. We have transported some people from the train. There are several dozen injured on the spot,” said a spokesman for the regional fire brigade.

2 dead, 7 critically and 31 injured

Two trains collided near Pilsen : Ex 351 from Munich to Prague and regional train from Pilsen to Domazlice.

https://www.rt.com/news/531072-poland-trains-collide-dozens-injured/

Old 13th August 2021, 07:42

G'day,
I have just found the official Czech railway investigation mob web site detailing this prang.
From the provided photos, the locomotive sustained much more damage than did the dmu unit.
I would presume that one of the deceased would be the driver of the locomotive.
I know that the Czech system is mostly Driver Only Operation, and am wondering now about the relevant safe working systems.
Steve.
Old 14th August 2021, 07:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
From the provided photos, the locomotive sustained much more damage than did the dmu unit.
Yes it does look that way. Rather odd.

Quote:
I know that the Czech system is mostly Driver Only Operation, and am wondering now about the relevant safe working systems.
I've spent my whole career working DOO and have mixed feelings. On the plus side, it's good to have two pairs of eyes and someone watching your back. On the minus side, there's a big temptation to relax a bit too much and assume the other person will catch anything that goes wrong (I believe psychologists call it Dilution of Responsibility), and you can be distracted by chatting too much.

On those occasions where I've dropped a clanger in the past, there's been someone else in the cab chatting away (my previous TOC had a 'drivers travel Pass in cab' policy, AND of course there's always Road learners hopping in).

I much prefer working on my own for passenger train driving.

My limited experience of freight though, is that it's quite different and I can see the point of having two crew members.

Anyhow, I expect you probably see things quite differently Steve?

Cheers, John.
Old 15th August 2021, 03:06

G'day BW,
I have the Czech Railway signalling system details on me computer somewhere.
But, am unable to find such.
Plus, such woulda been probably before any full implementation of ERTMS (?).
Indeed, has ERTMS or equivalent been implemented on the Czech Railway ?
DOO works ok providing that all concerned are fit for duty and obey all of the rules.
Fatigue would be a drama when people continue with their non work life style.
Distraction can also be a problem, as that only takes a few moments to affect the situation.
I remember back to the good ole days of "round trips" and coming out on availability (11 hours off at home).
Performing in excess of 11 consecutive shifts per fortnite.
GOOD moolah, but I do shiver when remembering how things were back then.
No wonder that most smoked like a Baldwin.
Alas, now under privatization, crew shifts are again encroaching extremes due to lack of staff.
As the plague rampages around smog hollow, though the entire NSW state is now Locked Down,
smog hollow train and bus services are being further impacted with over a third of staff being now in quarantine.
Plus, rail and ballast work trains out here in the regions are being cancelled due to hairylegs not being able to travel around the state.
Won't be any train prangs with no trains running, I guess.
Steve.