19:00

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

ex Arriva 158s

Old 26th November 2006, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains
I'm sorry but my comments about the ATW class 158's being cramped for long journeys referred to their 2-car units.
I now assume that we are talking about the 3-car 158's most recently operated by Transpennine Express as these are the ones that are being converted to 159's at Wabtec for use down south.
John you were right first time, this post was originally about the ATW 2 car 158s. I know that the tpx 158s are being put through 159 modification but I do not know what was to be done with the ATW 158s. So just wondered on what others think could be done with the units.

Last edited by martin adamson; 27th November 2006 at 11:17.
Old 26th November 2006, 18:21

Thanks David. It makes a change for me to understand something first time
Initially I would have suggested that ATW keep hold of some 158's and make them into 3-car units like the Transpennine (or is it Central) ones that have 3 driving vehicles coupled together. They could then use them to overcome some of the overcrowding they have on certain routes in the peak period (e.g. Manchester - North Wales). I know they are cramped but ANY seat is better than NO seat. Having said that the 3-car 175's they will get from Transpennine will probably serve the same purpose so we are back to deciding where to put the 158's. Within ATW the only other use I can see for them is some sort of cascade exercise to allow the ATW 150's to replace the grossly underpowered 153's on the Blaenau Ffestiniog branch and Bidston lines. Outside of ATW but on a similar note there is also the possibility that they could be used by Northern Trains to get rid of some of the unpopular 142's once again by allowing 150's to be cascaded.
It will be interesting to see what actually happens
Old 28th November 2006, 13:15

I saw a 150 working an ATW serivce up to Manchester this morning, I still get suprised by the fact that 150s are used on these long distance services, how can these not end up being delayed due to the speed limit of 75 mph?
Old 29th November 2006, 18:57

Replacing 153s with 150s wont make any difference on underpowered vehicles, they both use the same Cummins NT 855 R5 Big Cam engines and Voith gearboxes...., Ok you get two engines for a 150...but you also get two coaches!, ergo, same power!

R
Old 29th November 2006, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringoosmeg
Replacing 153s with 150s wont make any difference on underpowered vehicles, they both use the same Cummins NT 855 R5 Big Cam engines and Voith gearboxes...., Ok you get two engines for a 150...but you also get two coaches!, ergo, same power!

R
Thanks Ringo.
My comments were based on observations made when Class 150's have deputised for 153's. The 150's always seem able to keep to the timetable. I also see that each Class 150 car is 5-6 tonnes lighter than a 153. Does this not make a difference?
Old 29th November 2006, 21:51

John,
to be honest 5 to 6 tonnes in rail terms isnt a lot, so wouldnt make that much difference, so may be open to perception, the thing to try and time is when the gearbox changes over from fluid flywheel to torque converter, which is at 42mph.

Regards
R
Old 29th November 2006, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringoosmeg
John,
to be honest 5 to 6 tonnes in rail terms isnt a lot, so wouldnt make that much difference, so may be open to perception, the thing to try and time is when the gearbox changes over from fluid flywheel to torque converter, which is at 42mph.

Regards
R
Ringo,
I don't think the trains on the ATW "Borderlands" route even get up to 42mph
Old 1st December 2006, 10:54

I was thinking something, kind of going off the 158 idea, but when tpx take over the Scotland services, and 185s are on all Northwest services then that woyuld mean that the only passengers services on the line between Bolton and Chorley will be 185's so the Chorley line will see only 185s. Unless there is another service I do not know of that uses the Chorrley line with the exception of charters. This is once all of the 175s have been replaced with 185s however, then this should give ATW a full 175 fleet for Northwest to South Wales services.
Old 4th December 2006, 09:45

ATW might not be getting their full compliment of 175's in the immediate future.
I don't have any details but it is reported that 175 103 has hit a tree near Barrow-in-Furness and 175 106 has caught fire at Lancaster.
Old 4th December 2006, 11:26

I wonder if this has something to do with the bad weather at the moment, it is preidcted to be getting worse throuhgout the week too.