00:05

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

What would you do?

Old 17th September 2006, 20:39

It’s pretty obvious that I am not going to get any further input from experienced railwaymen so I will draw a line under this thread. If you haven’t already guessed I was the person in the scenario. My wife and I regularly used the crossing during our walks and being an enthusiast I had a good idea of what trains to expect at different times of the day.
From the laboured sound it was making the approaching diesel-hauled train appeared to be a regular Class 6 working. It’s slow speed would give me ample time to “kick” the clips off the rails but I was also aware that a Virgin Inter-City and a Class 325 Royal Mail Unit were also due in the other direction. Convinced that the clips posed a threat and that I needed to do something quickly I got my wife to watch for any other approaching trains and I ran onto the crossing and booted the clips off the rails. I don’t think that I had ever moved so fast in my life and I was back to the safety of the footpath before the driver of the approaching diesel even saw me.
When we got home I reported the incident to the British Transport Police. I didn’t expect them to officially approve of my actions but I was surprised that they were so disinterested. I am not sure if the officer knew what a Pandrol clip was but he didn’t seem to regard the incident as being very serious. Maybe he was right and I was wrong and the clips hadn’t constituted a hazard to trains? I still don’t know to this day.
P.S. One thing that I made clear to the BTP was that I was pretty certain that the clips were not the work of kids. We had a good view of the approaches to the crossing and there were no kids in the area. Between the last train passing and us finding the clips the only activity in the area was a Land-Rover, which drove away quickly as we approached.
John

Old 17th September 2006, 21:20

Obviously you make the correct decision in the circumstances, and who knows what accident you saved. Kids is one thing, but it is shocking that adults might do that.

What was the result of your previous discussion board thread?
Old 17th September 2006, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat
What was the result of your previous discussion board thread?
Pretty mixed really. Some thought I was a super hero and others thought I was mad Generally speaking the loco drivers didn't approve of my actions although none would say if they considered the clips to be a threat. My guess is that they are assuming their loco would push the clips off the tops of the rails but I doubt if you could find one with enough confidence to try it at 100 mph I don't think Pandrol clips are used as much in the U.S. as they are here but one chap with an engineering background, who knew of them, was adamant that they could derail even a monster U.S loco.
John.
Old 18th September 2006, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains
Some thought I was a super hero and others thought I was mad
As you lived:- you are a Superhero.

If you had been killed:- you would have been mad
Old 18th September 2006, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat
As you lived:- you are a Superhero.

If you had been killed:- you would have been mad
I can't argue with that
John
Old 25th September 2006, 14:50
Station Manager

Yes John,i would consider them to be not only a derailment risk but also a risk to the train crew and other staff in the area,as they could go anywhere if they get hit by a train going at speed.In fact i think one or two would be moved off by the train but any more could be a problem.
All the best,Ian
Old 25th September 2006, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian White
Yes John,i would consider them to be not only a derailment risk but also a risk to the train crew and other staff in the area,as they could go anywhere if they get hit by a train going at speed.In fact i think one or two would be moved off by the train but any more could be a problem.
All the best,Ian
Thanks for that Ian. When I saw all these clips neatly lined up on the running rails I was convinced that I had to do something. Although I knew that the freight was coming I was more concerned that a really high speed train might appear in the opposite direction. With my wife acting as lookout I felt reasonably safe but it's still a strange feeling to deliberately go onto a railway line knowing that a train is coming and totally alien to what I would normally do.
I don't know what I would have done if I had been on my own.
John.
Old 25th September 2006, 23:08
Station Manager

As railway men you do get use to it's just like crossing the road to me,but i know what you mean.
All the best,Ian