09:28

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Events & Dates for your Diary

Prediction for OCTOBER 2019 at the Bluebell

Old 24th October 2018, 21:58

Prediction for OCTOBER 2019 at the Bluebell

I have a prediction for one of the visitors for the Bluebell's Autumn gala (Giants of Steam) next October ...

LMS Princess Coronation pacific No.6233 'Duchess of Sutherland'. There, you heard it here first!

The reasons I am making this prediction are that the latest Bluebell News hinted that a "big LMS express locomotive" was in the frame for next year's gala, but also Steam Dreams are planning a railtour starting from the Bluebell Railway (to Oxford & Worcester) on 5th October 2019, and the Bluebell's website have announced yesterday that this is potentially to be hauled by 'Duchess of Sutherland'.

Let's see what happens in just over 11 months' time...

Tony

Old 27th October 2018, 08:59

If it comes I'll be there. Meet you in the Bessemer Arms!
Old 14th January 2019, 22:28

Ok, so not the 'Duchess' (yet) but the latest Bluebell News has confirmed that this year's 'Giants of Steam' gala will have an LMS theme & the first confirmed visitor is 46100 'Royal Scot'. It will be joined by another 'named LMS engine', so I will wait to see which loco this will be.

Tony
Old 15th January 2019, 10:06

71000 is a "big LMS express locomotive".
Fingered crossed.
Stuart...….Duke of Gloucester Fan.
Old 9th June 2019, 22:20

I'm not one to blow my own trumpet but...

https://files.constantcontact.com/e0...fddb1cb862.pdf

The fortnightly Bluebell E-Newsletter has just come out and it has been confirmed that 6233 'Duchess of Sutherland' is to be one of the star visiting locos at the Bluebell's Giants of Steam Gala in October. It also states that BR 7MT No.70000 'Britannia' will be the other visitor, which presumably means that the 'Brit' replaces the previously announced 46100 'Royal Scot' - these are both locos from Jeremy Hosking's Royal Scot & General Locomotive Trust - so I'm guessing the 'Scot' is now unavailable.
Home fleet should include SR Q class No.30541, SR S15 No.847, BR 5MT No.73082 'Camelot' & BR 4MT No.80151 - the Standard tank is due to return to traffic at the end of June following completion of it's overhaul.
Jon, I'll meet you in the Bessemer Arms!

Tony
Old 11th June 2019, 21:48

Also, regarding the visit of 70000 'Britannia', this will hopefully be fourth time lucky to get a member of the class to the Bluebell - 'Britannia' itself was due to be star guest for the opening weekend of the extension to East Grinstead in March 2013, whilst 70013 'Oliver Cromwell' has been a planned guest for the 'Giants of Steam' galas in 2010 & 2016, but on each occasion the locos have been unavailable. Fingers crossed this time!

Tony
Old 11th September 2019, 21:04

So, my prediction is now scuppered! 'Duchess of Sutherland' is now unable to attend the gala & has been replaced by LNER B1 No.61306 'Mayflower'.

https://www.bluebell-railway.com/wha...ants-of-steam/

I had seen that 6233 had been failed with valve prior to last Saturday's Norwich-Chester railtour, which was diesel-hauled instead, but the information on the Bluebell's website or facebook page doesn't make clear if this is the reason for the non-attendance.

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2019/09...fore-tour.html

Tony
Old 13th September 2019, 21:56

A little bit more information has revealed that the non-attendance of 6233 is due to a change of loco for the Horsted Keynes-Bath-Horsted Keynes railtour on October 5th, now rostered for 61306 'Mayflower'. The visit of 'Duchess of Sutherland' was tied in to it's railtour schedule and now that it's not working the October 5th railtour, it won't be coming to the Bluebell.
One thing which is still unclear is the reason for the change of loco for the railtour - my guess must be a gauging issue with the 'Duchess'.
Incidentally, the 'Duchess' has been repaired following it's failure last Saturday and is available for it's rostered railtour to Plymouth & Par tomorrow.

Tony