16:02

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

So, what got you interested in railways?

Old 16th March 2008, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyhandedfool View Post
we had stopped at newton abbot and the guard announced that we couldn't go any further due to minors. I was quite confused.
You're not the only one!

Old 16th March 2008, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
You're not the only one!
Thanks Trev.
I thought it was only me that was missing something.
Old 19th April 2008, 19:46

Red face Ah,sweet memories...

I think Adey is right - back in the 50s and 60s trainspotting was (almost) respectable,although life was very different then.I went on trips to Scotland and other far flung regions with friends of a similar age from the age of 10 or 11.
My father worked for the railways ("The Midland" as he always called it) at Gloucester Eastgate so visits to signal boxes were very regular - got to learn some very interesting turns of phrase - and free passes meant lots of travel all over the country.
I guess when it's in your blood there's little you can do about it but "go with the flo".
Ah now,Flo,she was an interesting lass,but that's another story.
Old 19th April 2008, 19:47

Red face Ah,sweet memories...

I think Adey is right - back in the 50s and 60s trainspotting was (almost) respectable,although life was very different then.I went on trips to Scotland and other far flung regions with friends of a similar age from the age of 10 or 11.
My father worked for the railways ("The Midland" as he always called it) at Gloucester Eastgate so visits to signal boxes were very regular - got to learn some very interesting turns of phrase - and free passes meant lots of travel all over the country.
I guess when it's in your blood there's little you can do about it but "go with the flo".
Ah now,Flo,she was an interesting lass,but that's another story.
http://david-j-smith.fotopic.net
Old 19th May 2008, 01:00

Smile Gramp's fault!

Yes, it's all true; back in the 50's it was quite the done thing for smally boys with school caps to gather in small groups & scribble down the numbers of locos. If you had understanding parents, you might even get an ABC to draw lines in! In my case, it was my grandad's (Gramp) fault - he used to take me to Tilehurst station on a Sunday morning (in my pushchair, until I could walk there), and we'd sit on platform 1 and watch the trains. I couldn't write then though. Of course, in retrospect, it's all plain to see: he was waiting for The Roebuck Hotel, Oxford Road, to open it's doors so he could have a couple of pints before Sunday dinner (yes, DINNER) was dished up at about 2pm. I'd sit outside the pub with a bottle of Pepsi with 2 straws (neither of which extended out of the neck of the bottle at any time) and a packet of Oxo crisps. Triff! Naturally, once I could read & write, I could spend hours at the bottom of our road at the entrance to a small shunting yard (long gone) between Tilehurst and Norcot roundabout. Kings, Castles, Halls, Granges & Counties abounded; I distinctly remember only needing 4 Kings, god only knows which 4. It goes without saying that I've lost all my books & notebooks from those early days; stopped spotting for a year or two when living nowhere near a railway, then started up again from about 1961 to 67, when the sad demise of steam neatly coincided with my first job, girls, guitars, and beer. I'd got about a fair bit then too, this time it took me until 1972 before I lost 99% of all books/records/photos & negatives. Am I the only person that thinks that digital cameras & computers arrived 50 years too late? The important thing is: it was OK to be a trainspotter back then, although a subject never to be brought up in mixed company (girls weren't impressed with only needing 4 Kings), let's face it, it was a lotta fun, kept us all out of trouble, and we'd never be able to do it the same nowadays, more's the pity. Aaaaah.... memories are made of this (as Perry Como said!)
Changing the subject somewhat, does anyone know if/when there are any depot/works open days I ought to be aware of in 2008? I can't seem to find out about any of these events until it's too late!
Hang loose chaps, all the best & so on, Dave.

Last edited by Dave Rowland; 19th May 2008 at 01:03. Reason: bad grammer
Old 21st May 2008, 17:01

I briefly mentioned this in my newbie thread but I can go into detail here I guess!

It started on the way to South Devon College on the Riviera Line, back then in 2003-4 I think we had 150's (if someone could confirm that with me I'd be very greatful).
I am one of those people who wants to know how everything works.. I would sit on the train and listen to all the random train sounds I heard trying to work out what was happening. The only problem was I had no one to talk to about it, no one to ask. Obviously now I can do and I'm really excited about being able to share my interest!
Old 27th May 2008, 20:00

Dear Articuno, I see that you come from South Devon and I'm curious as to why you have got a picture of a sh***y old Notworker in your signature.

You don't actually like them....do you ?

Foghut (ex Networker driver).
Old 27th May 2008, 22:11

I was about 5 years old (now 65) when I first saw the Lickey Banker at Bromsgrove, from then on my dear old Dad used to take me train spotting at our local line at Longbridge, New Street Station in Birmingham and from time to time Tamworth, my trainspotting continued until we moved to Australia when I was 13 (1957), only way for me to see my beloved British trains these days is on DVD and my British OO model layout, wish we had stayed in England dont think I will ever stop being a Pom.
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
Dear Articuno, I see that you come from South Devon and I'm curious as to why you have got a picture of a sh***y old Notworker in your signature.

You don't actually like them....do you ?

Foghut (ex Networker driver).

.....I love them! One of my favourite trains!! You DROVE them!? Very cool I say!!
Old 4th June 2008, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articuno View Post

.....I love them! One of my favourite trains!! You DROVE them!? Very cool I say!!
Well that's fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion

Needless to say, drivers have differing opinions of them....mine's not terribly high, and of the many nicknames given to them by drivers, my favourite are:

S**tCams for the MetCams (465/2 & 466)
JudderBRELs for the BRELs (465/0 & 465/1)

I do think it's excellent that you enjoy them, however.