16:34

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Virtual Railways

Trainz or MS simulator

Old 30th October 2005, 16:39

Trainz or MS simulator

Any preferences for either of these?

Old 4th November 2005, 18:21

Location: Shipley, Between Bradford & Keighley Worth Valley, W Yorks
Hi

I have mainly used MSTS so I have to go for that. lol

Dave
Old 6th November 2005, 17:53

I own the microsoft train sim and find it enjoyable and easy to use (altough difficult to master!). There also seems to be lots of add on packs featuring preserved lines for microsoft. But I've never played the other one so I am biased

Last edited by pavorossi; 6th November 2005 at 18:14.
Old 8th November 2005, 11:14

I find trainz to be a bit 'train-setty', if you understand what I mean. MSTS has a lot more going for it in the way of expansions etc - visit http://www.uktrainsim.com to see what I mean
Old 8th November 2005, 12:08

I'm all for MSTS even though I have both programs, It's defineatly showing it's age now but still has a huge community of freeware/payware developers who are constantly pushing the boundaries. As Ticketman mentions www.uktrainsim.com has a huge file database aswell as info on the next generation of railway simulators currently in development.
Old 11th November 2005, 19:55
Station Manager

MSTS Trainz

I also agree with TicketMan, Trainz is very train set, I have 21 add on's for MSTS and spend many hours running trains and shunting. I make up long consits, then shunt them on any of the route's I have. Has anyone tried the South African Garratt sim. Of all the trains I have run, this is the most real with even the bounce you get from a Garratt. There is also quite a lot of Austrailan railways for download for free.
Old 13th November 2005, 18:53

I believ that Trainz will gain more popular after after about a 1yr now as many decent stuff is coming out for it.
Old 15th November 2005, 20:32

Wink

I have to say that I think that both of these simulators have their advantages. However Microsoft Train Simulator has better physics, a wider variety of locos/routes and more of an opportunity to add your own rolling stock in to it. Trainz is as many people have said a very Train-Setty simulator but the higher the quality of rolling stockthen the more it becomes realistic. FOr example Trainz has animated rolling stock which does add that sort of 'third dimension' to it. With Trainz you do get the opportunity to create simple routes easier than MSTS Route Editor which can be quite complicated!!!! Overall I think that I prefer MSTS for basic driving because as I said earlier It has better physics but if I am going for a long driving session using several locos and a complicated timetable then it has to be Trainz!!!

Ben
Old 16th November 2005, 13:10

I would say neither and vote for a totally free sim that is the internets best kept secret. It is a Japanese sim called BVE (Boso View Express) and it is a cab view sim, none of this looking at the roof, can you do that in reality?

You can download the sim from www.mackoy.cool.jp but I recommend a trip to www.trainsimcentral.co.uk where you can find a guide to installing the program plus a look at some of the best routes available for the sim and the new features that you can get with the most recent edition.

Hope some of you are brave enough to go for the unknown, and don't forget it is totally free, including all the add-ons.
Old 16th November 2005, 13:59

I would say that BVE is worth the download. I have a few routes and a few locos but the thing that I don't like is not being able to 'look at the roof' and maybe look behind at your train or at least have other views in the cab. Also don't forget that Trainz you are supposed to be able to be the 'routemaster' so it is necessary to have a free roaming view.

Is worth the download though
Ben