19:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Yet another level crossing fatality

Old 2nd January 2013, 18:00

Yet another level crossing fatality

Just breaking news but another car has been hit by a train at a level crossing, causing one fatality. The train driver is fortunately uninjured:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-20892607

Old 3rd January 2013, 17:30

Thank goodness the train driver wasn't hurt.
Old 21st March 2013, 09:15

Another one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-21873451
Old 21st March 2013, 23:48

Further info

it was a half gate crossing and the car driver went round the gate

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 22nd March 2013, 06:46

I agree Mad Carvanner, ....but do you know what? Something inside me says that (for the sake of one man's lowly wage instead of a machine.......at the crossing gates, no-one need have died). We must therefore thank the Lord that no-one on the train also died.
Level crossings were in the beginning..a cheap option for the railway. Cheaper than providing an under or overpass!

Second.....They later removed the crossing attendant and replaced him with an automated machine to make it even cheaper!

Now, they are blaming the public for misusing a flawed system that they have installed to cover their withdrawal of attendant staff at the site in order to maximise profits!

My position is: Let's do it properly shall we? High speed rail and level crossings....Don't Mix!.......
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:29

Automatic barriers!
It's all down to cost.
It IS Not possible to bridge many of the level crossings reasons below
1) there are too many of them
2) the volume of traffic (both rail & road) does not warrant it.
3) in many places it is not possible to bridge/underpass the the railway

In nearly every accident on automatic half barriers the accident was caused by miss use.
If gates were used delays to road users would be longer.

To man & gate all crossings would be prohibitively expensive.
It is not the system that it flawed but Impatient road users.
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
I agree Mad Carvanner, ....but do you know what? Something inside me says that (for the sake of one man's lowly wage instead of a machine.......at the crossing gates, no-one need have died). We must therefore thank the Lord that no-one on the train also died.
Level crossings were in the beginning..a cheap option for the railway. Cheaper than providing an under or overpass!

Second.....They later removed the crossing attendant and replaced him with an automated machine to make it even cheaper!

Now, they are blaming the public for misusing a flawed system that they have installed to cover their withdrawal of attendant staff at the site in order to maximise profits!

My position is: Let's do it properly shall we? High speed rail and level crossings....Don't Mix!.......

The big problem with todays Britain is that everyone is in too much of a rush very few people give themselves TIME to get where they are going and so drive like idiots to get anywhere on time even the pub

All they have to do is leave a few minutes earlier and RELAX when driving then people wouldn't do stupid things not just level crossing (BTW I agree with Resolution about jobs v machines) but undertaking and driving in the middle lane of a motorway etc.

BTW The train that hit the car was a HST and so is hardly damaged it was travelling at approx 100mph and was still on the rails looking at images I have seen only the nose and front coupling need attention - - - I shudder to think what a Voyager would have fared like if that had hit it

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:22

After the incident at Copmanthorpe a few years back when a car was hit by a Voyager.
The car disintegrated but the voyager only had the front bogie derailed initially by one 1 wheelset then later on the 2nd wheelset derailed.
I had to measure the overall length of the site immediately after the incident for relay purposes.
A couple of reps from the TOC asked what was the length from the impact point to the front of the train. The distance was about 50m under the full emergency braking distance.

http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/
Old 22nd March 2013, 21:33

Isn't it time to fit 4 barriers instead of 2 ? Nearly every accident is caused by idiots driving round the half barriers. They also need top extensions to stop other idiots vaulting over them.
Old 22nd March 2013, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Isn't it time to fit 4 barriers instead of 2 ? Nearly every accident is caused by idiots driving round the half barriers. They also need top extensions to stop other idiots vaulting over them.
Yes this is quite true Tony, if it was not for the most idiotic actions of a few people, we might all get on and enjoy the things we do. In the end it usually ends up with us all having to pay more, to put in stricter and more secure safety measures, and not just at barriers but in almost every walk of life these days. Higher insurance costs etc.
The worst is the cost to human life! if that train had derailed who knows the untold misery this would cause to so many families? Why, all because of a stupid action, where some idiot thinks these rules don't apply to them! Like Gray said everyone is in too much of a rush these days.
Why oh why do we have so many completely idiotic people at large? Beats me!!!!!
Frustrated
Phil