01:36

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Engine repairs

Old 19th July 2009, 22:46

Engine repairs

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get two of my N Gauge engines overhauled? They run rather noisily. I replaced the springs and brushes but that didn't make any difference.

One's a Grafar 0-6-0 general tank and the other is a Grafar J94 saddle tank.

Any leads appreciated.

Alex

Old 20th July 2009, 10:06

Hi Alex,
Apart from the noise do they run smoothly?
Noisy operation is a characteristic of many of the earlier Grafar locos and doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. It is sometimes best to leave well alone.
Old 20th July 2009, 10:33

Hi John,

The general tank actually runs very well at all speeds. I have another of these engines and it is a lot quieter than this one. The J94 can be jerky at times and can't be run at slow speeds.

Alex
Old 21st July 2009, 21:28

Hi Alex,
You appear to be experiencing some of the same problems that hindered my enjoyment of British N-Gauge and speeded up my change to its European equivalent, which, at the time tended to be better engineered.
It must be nearly 20 years since I last dabbled with British N-Gauge but from what I can remember poor running was often due to incorrectly adjusted wheel pick-ups. If they were too slack electrical contact was sporadic resulting in jerky operation and if they were too tight the extra friction hindered slow running. This wasn’t always the result of wear and tear as I found brand new locos straight out of the box often needed tweaking.
When trying to track down the causes of poor running it often helps if you can find some way of disconnecting the motor drive from the chassis. This enables you to “free-wheel” the chassis whilst you feel and listen for tight spots caused by the pickups or possibly the connecting rods.
Another common problem with older Grafar steam locos was uneven meshing of the motor worm and the wheel axle gear. There was often excessive float in the motor armature and this usually meant that the loco ran better in one direction than the other. I found that it could be improved by adding shims or slightly adjusting the motor position until the optimum position was found which gave smooth running in both directions.
I’m sure that with a little patience and some trial and error experimentation you can become your very own serviceman.
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:59

Hi John,

I'll have a go at playing around with the internals and see what I can come up with.

Alex