20:30

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Is it worth going for DCC?

Old 9th June 2006, 13:09

Is it worth going for DCC?

I have yet to build a layout, but have several ideas in my head and already have two ovals of track linked by a set points in place. I currently own a Hornby Q1, a Mainline Royal Scot and a handful of diesels (I don't which as my interest is only in steam). As I am considering modelling a generic southern scene in the early days of BR the diesels and the Scot are of know use to me, other than being used as a possible source of spares (would this be possible?). Therefore, the only locomotive I would need to equip with a decoder is designed for use with one. Would the benefits of the system be able to justify the costs for a layout which will never leave my house, rarely be seen by anyone other than me and which is used only about once a fortnight? If so, which manufacturer offers the best system? I hope you excuse my ignorance in such matters, I'm a new comer to these things.

Old 9th June 2006, 14:49
Station Manager

When it comes to DCC most of us are fairly ignorant!

However I am in the process of designing a new layout and will go DCC because:

* the wiring is a lot simpler.
* I can drive each loco indepenantly without the need for lots of sections.
* double heading and banking can be done realistically.
* Points etc can be wired from the power bus again getting rid of a lot of wiring.

I think it is an area people like to make sound complicated. Start simple and make it more complex as your expertease grows.

As far as what system to use. I'm waiting for the Hornby system to come out although I'm quite attracted by the ZTC, although it is expensive. As far as loco decoders are concerned it will be a case of which one fits a particular loco! In theory it should be posible to mix brands as there is supposed to be a common standard.

However all PC's are supposed to be the same and we all know that not all bits work with all other bits!

So far I have bought the two Peco DCC booklets and the DCC Expert DVD by Model Rail and ZTC. All of which I would recommend.

See also thread on DCC wiring.

Last edited by John H-T; 9th June 2006 at 15:05.
Old 9th June 2006, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavorossi
Therefore, the only locomotive I would need to equip with a decoder is designed for use with one.
Not sure if I see the point of going to the trouble of using DCC on a layout with only one locomotive (if that's what you mean).

My railway (still in the development stage) is small and will only ever have one loco 'in steam', it being a single track system. All of the points are within easy reach and can be operated by hand.

I can certainly see the point of using DCC on a large layout with plenty of engines and turnouts.

Why not avoid the initial large cash outlay involved when going DCC and concentrate on getting the basics right first? Then, when you decide that you want to expand your railway; I would have thought that that was the time that you go over to DCC.
Old 12th June 2006, 11:54

Thanks for that. Is there any company which produce a reliable controller which is fairly cheap? The one I'm using at the moment is second hand, one of the little things you screw on to secure the wire at the top (I don't think that's the technical term but I hope you know what I mean) is missing and I reckon it is probably older than me.
Old 12th June 2006, 18:19

I have always found the controllers made by GAUGEMASTER to be very reliable and smooth. Depending on the chosen model you might also have to add on the cost of a transformer.
It's not worth skimping on the price of a controller, you will only be disappointed in the long term if your locos don't run as smooth as they should.
John.
Old 12th June 2006, 22:12

The Gaugemaster 100M at £60 looks good value.
Old 12th June 2006, 22:39
Station Manager

Once I have got my layout up and running hopefully by the end of the year I will be in a better position to to talk about DDC. I am not planning anything massive but do want to indulge in double heading and banking! Sound and lots of flashing lights are certainly not in the plan at least for now!
Old 13th June 2006, 13:58

Ok, cheers. I think that it'll have to be the next thing I buy for it. Whilst on the subject of sound, how good are Dapol sound sheds. I saw them advertised for the first time yesterday and I must admit that they look pretty good, but I thought I'd see if anyone knew anything more about them before buying some.
Old 13th June 2006, 15:23

My personal view is against conversion to DCC for a small removable layout, but I must admit it's worthwhile when one's dealing with a big fixed layout in a dedicated room.
Old 14th June 2006, 21:07

Well my layout is half way to being permanent, it's on a hinged board on my bedroom wall. It means that I'll have to remove all the buildings and stock whilst I want to sleep, but the angle is sufficient to allow me to keep the platforms on. I did once try to leave it set up at night, but when I heard my alarm clock I sat up and banged my head, and I don't want to do it again!