02:55

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Greece train crash: at least 40 killed and dozens injured in collision

Old 1st March 2023, 14:23

Greece train crash: at least 40 killed and dozens injured in collision

Yuk, very sad. Reported to be a Head-On collision.

I always tell my loved ones to sit in the middle of the train. A lot of people like to sit at the front as it often gets them away first at stations. Not a good idea though.

Linky....Collision in Greece

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 1st March 2023 at 14:26.
Old 1st March 2023, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby View Post
Yuk, very sad. Reported to be a Head-On collision.

I always tell my loved ones to sit in the middle of the train. A lot of people like to sit at the front as it often gets them away first at stations. Not a good idea though.

Linky....Collision in Greece
I agree, and I also wonder if passenger restraints would lower the number and severity of injuries in such instances which are not really rare? I already posted a topic on this subject.
Since peak hour trains have a huge number of standing passengers, I doubt if there will ever be a passenger restraint system and as you say John, sit in the middle and probably best in a rear facing seat.

Anyways, from RT News (not available in the UK)

❗️36 Dead In Greece Train Crash

Authorities have confirmed that at least 36 people have died from a horrific head-on train collision late Tuesday night, with 66 of the 85 injured and hospitalized - including six in intensive care.

Rescue workers continue to search for survivors in the debris left after a cargo train smashed into a passenger train that had somehow been allowed to travel on the same track. Around 250 passengers out of 350 have been evacuated to Thessaloniki.

An investigation is ongoing into how the tragedy was allowed to happen, with police temporarily detaining the station master in Larissa.

❗️Greek Transport Minister Resigns After Wednesday’s Rail Disaster — Local Media
Old 1st March 2023, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27vet View Post
I agree, and I also wonder if passenger restraints would lower the number and severity of injuries in such instances which are not really rare? I already posted a topic on this subject.
Very topical, since I believe that some passengers were ejected through the carriage windows.

The G Forces involved when trains experience a head-on collision must be enormous.
Old 4th March 2023, 00:16

Yes, I will need to google for any info and the rail prang investigation mob in Greece.
This sounds similar to an incident in Italy a few years ago.
Safeworking that we would call Telephone Block.
A very OLD system for modern day rail activity.
The Station Master involved in the Italian prang was arrested.
Though, I never heard any further report.
We had two cattle trains facing each other in the Central West NSW a couple of years ago.
Trackwork had cancelled the normal safeworking systems and paperwork implemented.
Just a simple mistake.
Thankfully the trains avoided each other as one was stationary and the other percolating at the 60 kph road speed.
Nothing is perfect.