16:19

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

South African model 15F steam locomotive - hand-made

Old 20th May 2013, 22:57

South African model 15F steam locomotive - hand-made

Hi Everyone, my name is Paul and I am from Johannesburg, South Africa. I hope I have posted this in the correct forum - Pls could moderators move it if not - Thanks!

My Uncle was a fanatic with his steam trains. It took him 7 years to build his first miniature steam train, which ran at the Florida and Centurion tracks, in South Africa.

He then started building a magnificent 15F steam train, and unfortunately passed away 3 years ago. He left this incredible project behind with us.

It is 90-95% completed, and every single bolt, rivet, wheel etc., was hand made by him.

My Aunt needs to sell it now, and I would just like to know where the best place would be to sell such a work of art.

Any information would be really appreciated, and only serious buyers please - thank you.

My contact details are as follows (Hope I am allowed to post this info post on the forum):
Work: +2711 706-2111
Mobile: +2783-637-8084
[email protected]

Here is a link to the album where I have uploaded a few low resolution pics of his amazing handy work - more pics available on request.

http://s892.photobucket.com/user/mad...%2015F%20Train

Old 20th May 2013, 23:05

Here is a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9271 (Copy).JPG (105.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 20th May 2013, 23:49

Fantastic engineering! There is a model railway club in Centurion , Pretoria. I'm 100% sure you will find someone there who is interested. It is not far from the Gautrain station, I will give you the coordinates if you wish. I see you do mention it. I will also put it on the various Railway pages on Facebook if you wish. Send me a PM.

Last edited by 27vet; 20th May 2013 at 23:53.
Old 21st May 2013, 09:11

Agreed, fantastic engineering. Wish I had those skills and patience. Good luck in selling it and hope you achieve a good price.
Old 21st May 2013, 17:11

I'm not into this gauge of railway engineering, but i have to comment on the quality of this project --- its beautiful!! its a shame that the maker never seen it finished, but i bet he did in his minds eye.
You could contact Model Engineer magazine in the UK. who will help you with its potential.
Old 21st May 2013, 19:50
Station Manager

When I was a fireman on the Rhodesian Railways, I went to Cape Town foe a holiday back in the late 60's. We had a 15F up front and a friendly crew. I asked if I could step up onto the footplate which they agreed to, and offered me a ride on the footplate as far as the next stop. I must say that it was one of the cleanest and best polished footplates I have ever travelled on apart from the day I drove an ex-workshop 14th class out of the workshop.
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27vet View Post
Fantastic engineering! There is a model railway club in Centurion , Pretoria. I'm 100% sure you will find someone there who is interested. It is not far from the Gautrain station, I will give you the coordinates if you wish. I see you do mention it. I will also put it on the various Railway pages on Facebook if you wish. Send me a PM.
Hi there 27vet, that will be brilliant, thanks so much for your offer. PM on it's way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith morgan View Post
I'm not into this gauge of railway engineering, but i have to comment on the quality of this project --- its beautiful!! its a shame that the maker never seen it finished, but i bet he did in his minds eye.
You could contact Model Engineer magazine in the UK. who will help you with its potential.
Hi Keith, that's brilliant thank you!!

To the moderators - perhaps consider adding a THANK YOU or a LIKE button so that members can be thanked for their comments.
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith morgan View Post
Hi Keith, the maker took 7 years to make his first train - a smaller train which ran at Florida and Centurion stations here in South Africa, for hours at a time. This small train managed to pull an incredible 40 people! I think it was nicknamed the "Sweet Pea" - whether that's the nickname he called his wife, or whether it's a train, I would not know.

The front section was made of copper and was polished clean every time it went out. Only once he stopped riding it did he actually paint it.
Old 25th May 2013, 18:54

15f steam locomotive.

Hi Paul.
Try REEF STEAMERS, at Germiston,they know lots of people,they may be able to put you in the right direction.

I used to live at Florida Lake, Egret Str, i will be back in Joburg at the start of November,although in Edenvale on the East Rand,a place you will obviously know. I have friends who are members of Model Railway clubs in SA, i will see if they can help.

I certainly hope you can sell that beautiful,and certainly well engineered locomotive,but be careful.

We also have society's over here in the UK who build engines from,O gauge up to 15 inch gauge , but as already mentioned,The Model Engineering Magazine would be a good option.

Keep well, and my regards to Joburg.