06:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

On the workbench

Old 10th January 2013, 10:58

Progress so far

Traverser now has a fixed cabin with control bench and some levers

I have constructed from card a Stock yard of Railway Clearing House post 1929 Steel wagon chassis so far there are 2 @12 foot and 3@ 10 foot plus a Bogie Well Wagon with a few lengths of girder and some large wood baulks to stand the wagon frames on

here's a fake up diorama style picture for effect
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130109_204143.jpg (134.0 KB, 17 views)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 3rd February 2013, 18:33

OK not getting into the mancave much as SWMBO is insistent about me doing joinery at a 1-1 scale in the kitchen putting together the bits for her to put together a new kitchen

but when I get chance as well as doing more to the Wagon Works which is now getting the name - Jacksons Wagon Works
As the family of the Jacksons used to own Clay Cross Company and the Ashover Light Railway so I thought it would look good especially as the only PO wagons I have are Clay Cross Company ones

there are 100 OO gauge figures to paint up to look a little more realistic

I have completed a conversion of an LNER Bogie Bolster into a Crane runner to go with the 75T Hornby Breakdown train

Also my Station-masters house is progressing and now has a rambling rose and window boxes - I was hoping that there would be some children in that 100 figures I got from Ebay but alas no

and I have just acquired a proper Milk Tanker for the Branch line Milk train which is waiting for photographing for the stock catalogue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121228_200026aa.jpg (98.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00005aa.jpg (93.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00007aa.jpg (113.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Departmental Breakdown train bolster crane runner ex LNER .jpg (25.3 KB, 12 views)

Old 4th February 2013, 16:38

Hello Gray,
And who said that retirement was a time to relax ? That list will keep you busy for the next twelve months ! Have you ever looked at Art Mounting Board for modelling with ? It is available from any picture framing shop, especially offcuts which are ideal for modelling. It is 2mm thick and easy to cut.

Last edited by Tony; 4th February 2013 at 16:42.
Old 4th February 2013, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Hello Gray,
And who said that retirement was a time to relax ? That list will keep you busy for the next twelve months ! Have you ever looked at Art Mounting Board for modelling with ? It is available from any picture framing shop, especially offcuts which are ideal for modelling. It is 2mm thick and easy to cut.
I'm not retired just long term sickness

and yes I have looked at Art Mounting Board but the stuff I have found only cost £1 a sheet compared to over £3 for the board

Can only spend pennies most of the time so have to work hard to keep costs down

Old 27th March 2013, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
OK not getting into the mancave much as SWMBO is insistent about me doing joinery at a 1-1 scale in the kitchen putting together the bits for her to put together a new kitchen

but when I get chance as well as doing more to the Wagon Works which is now getting the name - Jacksons Wagon Works
As the family of the Jacksons used to own Clay Cross Company and the Ashover Light Railway so I thought it would look good especially as the only PO wagons I have are Clay Cross Company ones

there are 100 OO gauge figures to paint up to look a little more realistic

I have completed a conversion of an LNER Bogie Bolster into a Crane runner to go with the 75T Hornby Breakdown train

Also my Station-masters house is progressing and now has a rambling rose and window boxes - I was hoping that there would be some children in that 100 figures I got from Ebay but alas no

and I have just acquired a proper Milk Tanker for the Branch line Milk train which is waiting for photographing for the stock catalogue
OK
Progress report

Kitchen finished

OO figures 100 all painted

Station masters house finished and station re modelling started

2nd 6 wheel milk tanker obtained from Rails 2nd hand shop (Aladdin's Cave)

there's also a new Bogie Bolster set up as a departmental for track relaying complete now with 6 sections of rusty trackwork

The Station was just a bare back ground - now has a decent town back-scene courtesy of wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/ they do free printouts and their back-scenes are great

I have three platforms one has the station buildings in low relief (A Metcalfe model split lengthways) there is an over-bridge made from 2 Airfix kits and at present I am doing buildings for the two other platforms but at 6cm wide they are too narrow for full buildings so are getting Platform Canopies - these are card models totally scratch built right down to the valancing around the edges but with modelling the 60's at least I can easily make them look scruffy unlike the plastic models.

Photo's attached show
station as was
Station with new background
Station canopy construction including cutting the valances 4mm long and 1mm wide then with a point cut into the 1mm paling of the valance

Now a question

using the standard diagrams which measurement do I use to place starter signals at platform ends ???
Is it the same one that specifies where the Platform Canopy single support goes which in OO /4mm works out as 25mm from the platform edging ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130113_143002small.jpg (299.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20130113_143040.jpg (76.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20130325_095948small.jpg (344.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20130326_195134small.jpg (92.2 KB, 9 views)

Old 27th March 2013, 20:35

It is all coming on a treat Gray. I made up the Metcalf station kit exactly the same as yours (although ten years ago). Being from Chesterfield, did you know that this kit was based on the standard Cheshire Lines Committee station design ?
Old 27th March 2013, 21:20

Quote:
It is all coming on a treat Gray. I made up the Metcalf station kit exactly the same as yours (although ten years ago). Being from Chesterfield, did you know that this kit was based on the standard Cheshire Lines Committee station design ?
Yes was aware it was Cheshire Line Committee which really doesn't fit a GCR / MR base but it is a useful kit to use and the signal box at the end of the platform is a copy of the one at Folkestone Harbour

Old 28th March 2013, 18:18

Hi Gray,
The Cheshire Lines Committee WAS the Great Central (with joint LMS operation) before they built the branch line to London !!!
Regards, Tony
Old 28th March 2013, 18:48

Quote:
Hi Gray,
The Cheshire Lines Committee WAS the Great Central (with joint LMS operation) before they built the branch line to London !!!
Regards, Tony

DOH
Wasn't awake last night needed more tablets than I could take getting the same way tonight too hate this feeling

Never mind the workbench can wait for tonight

tomorrow going to make a background for a little display diorama I am building so ANOTHER station canopy but fixed on a flat building face should do it

Old 28th March 2013, 21:17

Hi Gray,
I could do with whatever you are on, you seem to get through a great deal of work. I have one square foot of my "N" gauge layout to finish and havn't managed it during the past three months. I have all the bits and made the farm buildings but have to put up fencing and lay farmyard and grass. I wrote about starting the layout about 18 months ago under "A project for Winter", I didn't say which Winter though !
Regards, Tony