14:55

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Hornby 9F tender wheels

Old 26th December 2005, 14:44

Question Hornby 9F tender wheels

Hi everyone, Merry christmas to you all!

My son has had a Hornby 9F given to him for Christmas and, whilst it is very well detailed and runs generally very smoothly there seems to be a problem when going over Peco setrack points. When going over the points forwards the centre axle on the tender rides up onto the points and sometimes derails the tender or at best causes the tender to jump.

I've had a look at the tender wheels and there seems to be an awful lot of sideways play. The model has not been dropped or damaged so I'm wondering if there is a modification or new wheelset available that I could fit to cure the problem? Changing all the track is not an option really.

Old 27th December 2005, 12:07

Hi there, only thing I can think of is glueing thin bits of plastic on the inside of the tender frame and/or putting washes on the axels to stop there being so much play in the wheels. Only other thing is to file the flanges off the center wheels or just take them off and hope he does,nt notice...
Old 27th December 2005, 19:20
Station Manager

Had the same problem last year. Check all back to back wheel measurements including the loco itself. Mine was new so I sent it back to Hornby who sorted it free of charge in about a week.
Old 28th December 2005, 08:24

The centre wheels don't make contact as you know and are there for cosmetic reasons only. I normally set my back to backs with a clock vernier at 14.6 mm
sometimes a little more, I've even read of some people using 14.9 mm. I find this more reliable than using a back to back gauge. You might find your example is a little tight on back to back. The wheels are quite easy to push in or gently ease
outwards with a screw driver. Of course without a vernier your guesssing as to what the measurement is exactly.
Old 28th December 2005, 17:31

Thanks for the advice, I'll check the measurements and try to stop them wobbling about so much. Happy new year to you all!