16:15

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Using Foamboard as a baseboard

Old 11th February 2013, 09:19

Using Foamboard as a baseboard

I am planning my first model railway in N gauge. It will be 59in x 26in, just big enough to fit on the side of my 'L' shaped desk.

Has anyone used 'FOAMBOARD' as a base board either with or without anything between it and the supporting framework.

Thank you.

Old 11th February 2013, 11:47

Not sure about using foamboard, but have a look here for the construction of the baseboards for the Warners Project layout Black Country Blues, which uses ply baseboards with kingspan for the trackbed and then normal polystyrene for the scenics.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/ind...-base-scenics/
Old 11th February 2013, 12:28
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum PeterJohn.

I am assuming that you will want to lift the board(s) on and off your desk. 59" X 26" is quite a large size to lift up and down. Normally 48" x24" is accepted as a comfortable size.

If you are going to move the boards fairly regularly foam board may not be durable enough. The Club I am a member of is building a modular layout using sections 44 1/2" by 16 3/4" We are using 9mm ply for the top and 12mm ply for the frame.

I did start a thread on my modules ( see: http://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=10452 ) but this has been dormant for some time as I had to move unexpectedly last May. I am now in a position to get on with my modules, which form a layout in their own right as well combining with those of other club members. At present I am working on the design and constuction of two corner modules and hope to start reporting again soon.

In the meantime you can have a look at the thread which might give you some ideas. I am working in 00.

Hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 11th February 2013, 14:59

for my permanent layout I use fire proof MDF over a solid softwood frame
I am considering a portable layout for exhibitions which will be softwood frame with Plywood over it

wouldn't consider foam board as not strong enough for being moved a lot unless it has a very rigid framework under it

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643