13:35

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Lead Solders

Old 21st October 2006, 21:27

Lead Solders

There was a post comment elsewhere about the "banning" of lead based solders under the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Legislation (RoHS) from June 2006 - which I cant find again, even with the search engine facility.

Lead-free solders look like they need hotter temperatures and longer heating time to make them flow and wet the surface. As my cack-handed soldering tends to destroy componants even at the old-fashioned 180 degrees C, I darent risk lead-free at 240 degrees.

It appears though that the personal use of lead based solders is not banned, just the commercial use of the stuff. 64/40 lead solders are still available and I have "stocked-up" (Try a very large company with initals beginning "R S --------"........... I still remember them as "Radio Shack":- that must date me )

As I have used approx 15g of solder over the last 10 years, I reckon that another 100g will "see me out".

Old 21st October 2006, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat
...............Lead-free solders look like they need hotter temperatures and longer heating time to make them flow and wet the surface....................
I have tried the lead-free solder and it certainly doesn't suit my soldering technique. I much prefer the old stuff.

Quote:
.................. (Try a very large company with initals beginning "R S --------"........... I still remember them as "Radio Shack".............
You've got me confused here, Shed Cat
Are we talking RS Components (originally RadioSpares) or do you know of another RS?
Old 22nd October 2006, 19:07

maybe I am confused. Not for the first time.

Yes, I mean RS Componants which I thought started as Radio Shack in Croydon in the early 1970's. As a teenager I used to drive them mad by calling in after school to buy one resistor and one capacitor etc for a total bill of about 25p, to try and make a radio that would fit in a matchbox. It never worked, partly because I kept breaking the wires off the componants, or melting them into charcoal with my soldering "skill", and after a few years I gave up.

It must be all those solder lead-fumes that I sniffed that has done my memory in....
Old 22nd October 2006, 21:40

The Radio Shack that I remember was the name of the American parent company that ran the Tandy shops that were once all over the U.K. It's a pity that they are no longer around as I used to spend hours browsing through all their electronic goodies and most of my model railway switches and wire were bought from them.
Maplins have tried to fill the void left by Tandy but personally I don't think they are as good. For example the last time I went into a Maplins store I could only buy lead-free solder !!! ......and that conveniently brings us back to where we started
Old 22nd October 2006, 23:06

Quote:
There was a post comment elsewhere about the "banning" of lead based solders under the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Legislation (RoHS) from June 2006 - which I cant find again, even with the search engine facility.
I recall reading an advertisement in the model railway magazines advising people to 'buy before it's banned'. In other words, buy this product (anything with lead in it, from what I could work out) while it's still sold legally. Including 'liquid lead' weight, from what I remember.

Aren't there more important things for our legislators to think about other than things such as the above which would anyway only be bought by people who know what they are doing?

A bit OT, but my 15 year old daughter went to buy some PVA glue a few weeks ago and was asked her age by the shop assistant. Err....it's PVA, and as far as I know PVA is not harmful.
Old 23rd October 2006, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev
......................A bit OT, but my 15 year old daughter went to buy some PVA glue a few weeks ago and was asked her age by the shop assistant. Err....it's PVA, and as far as I know PVA is not harmful.
I imagine that the shop assistant had probably received some solvent abuse training in the dim and distant past and all they could remember were the words "glue" and "young people" being mentioned.
Old 23rd October 2006, 19:47

Oh yes..........even UHU is becoming an under-the-counter purchase nowadays.
Old 23rd October 2006, 21:11

Quote:
Oh yes..........even UHU is becoming an under-the-counter purchase nowadays.
.........and PRITT STICK definitely is