21:33

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

End of the line for EWS?

Old 19th February 2010, 23:09

why on earth would 23404 people want to hit on this thread?? That is so massive I just wondered how far across Europe this has travelled. Does EWS have another meaning...!!

Old 19th February 2010, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by klordger1900 View Post
Does EWS have another meaning...!!
Engines Wagons Slaves .

ccmmick.

Old 20th February 2010, 19:12

THE MOST OBVIOUS ONE IS Early Warning System ESPECIALLY WITH CLIMATE CHANGE HAPPENING SO FAST IN THE UK AND NO WHERE ELSE!!
Old 21st February 2010, 06:15
Registered Member

Bring back the Lion and Wheel !

Old 21st February 2010, 09:10

I'd settle for putting back the red cross on our white flag!
Old 21st February 2010, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmick View Post
Engines Wagons Slaves .

ccmmick.
Empty Wagon Sidings,

Ed Was Sacked

Eat Work and Sleep

Les
Old 21st February 2010, 13:21

Thanks Les for them
I have heard of Eat Work and Sleep before but not the other two.

ccmmick.

Old 21st February 2010, 14:57

WEFOC will soon have no regular traffic, DBS will soon only be using C Fan comprising 8 roads. When you consider the huge waste on Stratford and Wembley Inter-modal terminals installing new cranes and facilities. The former completely gone, the latter not now in use. Who can say the Public money spent on Channel Tunnel Rail infrastructure has not been wasted?
Old 3rd March 2010, 06:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
WEFOC will soon have no regular traffic, DBS will soon only be using C Fan comprising 8 roads. When you consider the huge waste on Stratford and Wembley Inter-modal terminals installing new cranes and facilities. The former completely gone, the latter not now in use. Who can say the Public money spent on Channel Tunnel Rail infrastructure has not been wasted?

I agree. The amount of Channel Tunnel-specific taxpayer money 'lost' since the opening of the tunnel in 1994 is quite staggering really.

On just the intermodal side of things, the sums are quite massive. Take for example, the three pairs of Morris cranes bought. The units meant for Stratford of course didn't get used there and went for use at the Freightliner Manchester terminal. Last year these cranes, like the pair of Morris cranes that went to Landor Street, were replaced and scrapped.

In the meantime, the last remaining pair, which stand at Willesden, has not been in use for several years.

Then there are the two pairs of Armund cranes. The pair in place at Willesden, like the Morris cranes, has not been in use for years. As for the units at Manchester, according to several press reports, DB Schenker is mothballing the Trafford Park terminal this month, so these cranes will be doing nothing from now on.

So in the space of 16 years the British taxpayer has purchased fives pairs of RMG cranes, none of which are now in use. I think that's quite an achievement.

As for changes at the Wembley yards, I confess I don’t know what you mean by the C Fan. I pass the yard every day, and looking at an aerial photo of the yard, are you saying that the long 750m tracks are the ones that will remain in use? Do these make-up the C Fan?

By implication therefore, will the shorter lines, especially those that are effectively sidings, be taken out of use?
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:09

'C Fan' are the 8 tracks next to Wembley Carriage Sidings the furtherest away from the main line. From the Main Line you first see the Reception Sidings which are the longest tracks, Then 'A fan' which is through tracks, 'B Fan' consists of tracks with stops and finally 'C Fan' has through roads directly in front of Wembley Signalling Centre. My information directly from DBS Traincrew based at Wembley.