16:27

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Questions from newcomer!!

Old 10th May 2010, 22:03

Questions from newcomer!!

Hi all

quick question, do freight drivers ever spend extended periods in thier cabs like truck drivers do, i.e a few days at a time? What would be the longest shift they do? I gather most drivers spend most if their time in the same section of track, is that the same for Frieght or is there more ad hoc varied work which allows them to travel different areas?

Only reason I ask is I saw a direct rail services class 37 at euston and didn't think amy of their depots were near there?

Many thanks!!

Old 11th May 2010, 05:58
Registered Member

They should....or did in BR days, have a PNB !

Old 11th May 2010, 06:22
Registered Member

freight train drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by uav689 View Post
Hi all

quick question, do freight drivers ever spend extended periods in thier cabs like truck drivers do, i.e a few days at a time? What would be the longest shift they do? I gather most drivers spend most if their time in the same section of track, is that the same for Frieght or is there more ad hoc varied work which allows them to travel different areas?

Only reason I ask is I saw a direct rail services class 37 at euston and didn't think amy of their depots were near there?

Many thanks!!
I have never heard of freight train drivers in UK spend extended periods like a few days in their cabs. When I worked for BR we occasionally worked long hours due to weather conditions, engine failure or for other reasons.
Old 11th May 2010, 14:07

Most freight Train Drivers will work out and back in a shift. The maximum driving time is 5 hours before a 40 minute break with a maximum of 10 hours diving in a shift. Breaks are booked in places where washroom and tea making facilities are provided usually agreed company messrooms. These have to be away from the engine environment. If required a Driver will travel passenger during a turn if working one way only. Where economic there are turns where you might work away from home and then be booked in hotel accommodation before a return working. These are called lodge turns. Each freight company have their own agreed criteria for Lodge Turns and number of nights away from home.
As for routes Freight Train Drivers today have far greater route knowledge then most passenger Drivers. At one time I signed London to York, Leeds, Swindon, Crewe, Southampton, North Kent, Ipswich. some of these places by more than one way.

Last edited by Seabrook; 11th May 2010 at 14:17. Reason: Amplification
Old 12th May 2010, 11:41

Thanks for all the info everyone! most interesting!