02:07

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

British Transport Police - Rail Enthusiasts

Old 5th June 2011, 09:03

Me too it would add creditability to our presence and stop the jobsworth interfering with our hobby

Old 5th June 2011, 16:32
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum RailwayWatch. Sounds a brilliant idea. Count me in if the scheme reaches Derbyshire.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 5th June 2011, 17:33

If I see a theft taking place or for that matter ANY criminal offence taking place, then I report the matter as soon as practicable to the appropriate authority, who I presume will take the appropriate action.
That's what all decent minded people do and I am a member of that club, which I am sure many are.
I am afraid I do not need a distinctive I.D. to carry on with my civic duties.
Old 5th June 2011, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailwayWatch View Post
I am a Sergeant with the British Transport Police; I would be interested in the thoughts and opinions of forum members on this topic and would welcome responses as it would be very helpful at this stage.

The British Transport Police is looking to pilot a new scheme on the rail network called Railway Watch based around the North London Hub stations and covering the network out from London.

This scheme is intended to be similar to those already running at the major UK Airports and centres on Rail Enthusiasts becoming members of the scheme and helping to combat terrorism and crime on the rail network by raising awareness and reporting suspicious activity. Members would have a distinctive ID card on a lanyard with the idea that this would show Station Staff and Police that the holder was a member of the scheme while on the railway.great idea were do we sign upI recognise that the Rail Enthusiast community is well placed to notice such activity and as a group, understand the railway and are committed to its safe running. I see this scheme as a unique opportunity for Rail Enthusiasts to become part of the wider Rail family and to be recognised as the valuable resource they are when taking part in their lawful hobby.

Do you see this as a good idea and would you want to become a member?

I would appreciate your views on this scheme and would be pleased to answer any questions you have about Railway Watch, I am currently on shift and will aim to answer all posts at the earliest opportunity.
great idea were do we sign up
Old 5th June 2011, 22:46

I think it is a great idea and should be rolled across the UK. I live in Wales and we also get problems with thieves pinching cables, vandals putting items on lines etc. I would be more than willing to join.
Old 7th June 2011, 00:14

I posted a reply on here yesterday, but notice it HAS for some strange reason, since been removed??????
Old 7th June 2011, 23:16

Many years back I was spotting at Euston when I saw an ECS pull out with the last door in the train open
I walked down the ramp and used the trackside phone to report it
the signaler was gratefull ....I dont know what happened!
Old 8th June 2011, 21:55

Looks like this is getting the support you were looking for. You mentioned the British Transport Police as setting this up in and around London. I imagine to roll this out countrywide would incur some costs?
Where will these costs be applied i.e. would individuals pay for an ID card and so contribute to the admin of such a project? I also imagine that a database would be setup to monitor all potential memebers and locations across the country. Who would manage this aspect.
I am for such a project as I believe in halting the thefts and vandels that cause us so much pain, including in the heritage community; so could this sector be included in anyway as I cant see the BTP having any power in the Heritage scene?
Just a few thoughts and I welcome your views
Regards
Phil
Old 10th June 2011, 22:40

Fantastic idea.
If it were nationwaide, I would certainly join up.
Old 11th June 2011, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchesterken View Post
Many years back I was spotting at Euston when I saw an ECS pull out with the last door in the train open
I walked down the ramp and used the trackside phone to report it
the signaler was gratefull ....I dont know what happened!
This is a Rulebook designated safety issue, so the signaller would have been obliged to inform the driver, either;

* Over cab radio if the train had one
* Stopping the train on a danger signal so that the driver would have to get down & use the SPT.

Either the guard would have gone back & secured the door, or if it was ECS there may have been no guard so driver may have had to do it.

Either way, you did EXACTLY the right thing. (A purist might argue that you shouldn't have gone down the ramp without PPE, but in the terminus platform area trains are limited to 15 mph - and you were dealing with a much more important issue since if a door hit someone on a station the outcome would have been horrible). Good call