13:45

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Virtual Railways

Rail Simulator Screenshots

Old 14th June 2008, 18:17

Rail Simulator Screenshots

I thought I'd start this thread for people to share their Rail Simulator screenshots.

I'll start, here are some screenshots from Rail Simulator including two of my reskins.

Class 47 "Inyri Forge" in Reigonal Railways
A livery and name I completely made up (named after a friend) but wanted to see.

Picture 1 | Picture 2

Class 47 Police Train
I also skinned the Police Train class 47, but got the spacing of the word POLICE wrong.

Picture 1 | Picture 2

Class 08 Shunters
Not mine, but from the add-on pack, but I think they're great.

Picture 1 | Picture 2

Swinton Station
Currently creating the Wigan Wallgate-Man Vic line for no reason in Rail Simulator. This is Swinton.

Picture 1

Old 14th June 2008, 22:46

Almost makes me want to have a go on a virtual railway simulator .. but maybe I'll stick to FlightSim by night.

Can the train sim do realistic night views, DBTC?
Old 14th June 2008, 23:31

Fairly realistic, I'll take some night screenshots later and post those up.

I can't remember if the station lighting etc. is realistic in Rail Simulator, my preference is during the day.
Old 19th June 2008, 10:01

So what is Rail Simulator like to use ? How would you compare it with MSTS ? I used MSTS for a while when it came out, but gave up on it as I found it very unrealistic. And can you use the 'Rail Driver' hardware thingy on Rail Simulator ?

Ta,
Foggy
Old 19th June 2008, 13:25

Rail Simulator is in some ways very similar to MSTS and in some ways different.

The graphics and physics both of the world and the trains are *much* more realistic than MSTS, stations, passengers, and world details are very "realistic" (by no means like photo-realistic but certainly enjoyable).

Rail Driver isn't compatable last time I checked as the creators of that device where creating drivers for it or something, but it will happen eventually. I think the US version of "Rail Driver" does work.

I would suggest someone like you might not appreciate Rail Simulator until the Roll Update 2 and 3 are released since there are problems with signals and other railway operations that are to be addressed which someone who knows a lot about railways will pick up on (ie. signals default to green, front lights turn to red when the train is fully stopped and other bugs of that nature). They have fixed some of these issues in the first update but will be making more updates in the near future to address all the concerns.

It certainly has potential but was a rush release. For you, I'd hold off on buying it until these updates are resolved. Maybe this christmas it'd be worth the buy. For people like me it's ideal cause "it looks pretty, lets you watch the trains go past and has a dummies mode"

Last edited by Deathbyteacup; 19th June 2008 at 13:29.
Old 20th June 2008, 10:01

OK Dbt, thanks for that. I'm sure you're no dummy, you've shown that you know the difference between a Fishplate and a fish supper .

The issues you've mentioned really would upset me, so I'll keep an eye on Rail Simulator and leave my money in my wallet for a bit longer.

Cheers,
Foggy
Old 3rd July 2008, 21:15

I just thought I'd mention a RailDriver software for Rail Sim has been updated and is now fully compatable. It is the first announcement on the Rail Sim site.
Old 3rd July 2008, 22:19

Didn`t realise that rail simulator & MSTS were diferent programs until now. Got MSTS and a few add-ons but rearly have time to play them.

How does Trainz Railway simulator compare with the two above?

Also trawing the net I`ve seen an expansion pack to download for rail simulator as well
Old 4th July 2008, 06:47

Well I have all three, and IMO Trainz is the cheapest, you can pick it up in Morrisons for under a fiver. It has more rolling stock than Rail Simulator available to download for it but it has the worst graphics and realism of the three. It it possibly the most detailed in terms of gameplay realism however, it can be a bit confusing for the novice user.

Train Simulator has better graphical realism than Trainz and is also realistic in it's gameplay, and also has the largest ammount of downloadable routes and rolling stock, infact a vast archive of almost everything. The game is however becoming a little dated and the graphics aren't exactly "realistic" - if the graphical realism isn't really a priority this is the best game to get, I imagine you'll enjoy it.

Rail Simulator is in it's early days, much like Train Simulator when it started out, and still needs some of the bugs and kinks working out of it and for the community to build more trains and routes for it. Train Simulator was in a similar state when it started out. It does however have the most realistic graphics going and the trains and scenes do look stunning, especially on higher spec computers with good graphics cards where you can maximise the graphical settings.

The expansions for Rail Simulator are probably down to preference, I have the Class 08 Shunter expansion at the moment and may get the Class 66 add-on next.
Old 4th October 2008, 15:37

Pretty cool stuff,although some of the bushes look a little strange! Hmmm i wonder if you can get this for the nintendo DS...