17:47

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

7 trains in the space of 2 hours 45 minutes

Old 12th March 2021, 03:13

7 trains in the space of 2 hours 45 minutes

G'day,
With our normally pathetic privatized railway plus the plague, there ain't much to get excited about.
However, I recently discovered that a rail set job would percolate from Bathurst on wednesday march 10th.
I had splurged also recently on a newbie audio recording dingus, and was eager to give it a test.
Acquired mainly to record feathered friends chirping while camping, but I could also poke it at any train thing.
Oh, and yes while the bodgy budgie does accompany me when camping, he ain't wild, except when having a tantrum.
I pondered just what sorta weasels might drag this rail set job west, tabled to depart at 1900.
Could I consider trekking up to Tumulla to poke me dingus at it climbing the 1 in 40 ?
Midday'ish, I decided to go for a hoof to discover the situation.
Yes, there was indeed a rail set job loading in the weld yard, but I could not discern the motive power.
You won't get me going nowhere to record 81 class EMD shoebox rubbish, which is what I feared might appear.
And, indeed, just because something cops a JHR CTN (country train notice), don't mean that it will actually run.
I kept hoofing, circling behind the rail weld yard and down past the soccer fields to Russell Street.
ER YUCK, I espied an RL class wedge AT36C as I hove towards the rear of the station.
But, the shape espied in the distance from Rocket Street bridge did seem different.
Entering the station from Havannah Street, I discover plastic shrouds and sand blasting capers.
Oh Oh, not another corporate scheme to adorn the stonework.
Sneaking around onto the south end of platform 1, AH GLORY BE.
Attached to that EMD wedge was a GLORIOUS Aussie Alco DL500G 44206.
WHACKO.
I quickly pounded the pavement back home to charge up me camera batteries.
I calculated that with the Rocket (WT28) due through at 1705, SSR mob would attack just after that.
There was also mention of an interstater, 3YN2, tabled through at 1749 in the last SWTT issued by JHR.
BUT, the Steel Train only percolates through here occasionally, and would have stinking NR class GEs on it.
Being my watering day, even though the sky was greyish, I chose to hurl the hose around the veggies.
Hearing the Rocket bleat for Lloyds Road level crossing a few late, I decided to motor down at 1740.
Being a windy day, and sand blasting dust wafting everywhere at the station, NO point trudging back there.
Anyhoo, the south end of Jumbo 44206 was beyond the end of platform 1, so only offering a broadside shot.
Arriving at Rocket Street bridge, indeed the locos were now attached to the rail set rake deep inside the yard.
As I bounced over the bridge, 3YN2 rattled underneath, ALMOST on table, with THREE NRs plus an 82 class thing.
YUCK, hence my neglect of that train.
I veered back around into Bant Street to await the emergence of the rail set job.
The steel job continuing to rattle past me heading east, now with ore boxes on the rear.
NO wonder we have virtually NIL trains, the handful that do rattle are as long as last week, RIDICULOUS.
The grey sky got worse and that wind continued, but both me newbie audio dingus and video cameras got wind socks.
Just after 1800, in the gloom I espied headlights approaching on the Main line.
A pair of CFCLA CM class Wabtec MP33C things ambled along making almost nil noise heading west.
This was my first experience of these weird dingi, built from 2013 for Chicago Freight Car Leasing Oz mob.
OK, it's a train I guess, BUT just WHICH train ?
Nought in the time table offered any glint, except possibly the Dubbo Fletchers job running 12 hours early or late.
Virtually NOTHING runs to table here since privatization.
The rail set job had moved up closer to the bridge, but was still perched inside the weld yard.
Surely, it would emerge and set back onto the loop to be ready for blast off at 1900.
I had given NIL thought to TWO facets of the game plan, which I had not even remembered.
I was confused as to why 8M41 would blast off at 1900, run south to Georges Plains and perch there for 42 minutes.
Still the thing sat perched in the yard.
Then, another set of headlights appeared, this time on the Loop.
Them headlights halted and a bit later I heard a HOOT, AH !
A trio of EMD things led by ex Mexican C class 506 GT26C, with "casper" ex Aussie National CLP12 AT26C-2m and ex Mexican JT26C-2ss G415 wandered past.
The erratic Kelso job 8146 was actually running, and was fetched into Bathurst to run-around to thence work east.
The trio sat out behind the UP Home for a period.
My brain finally functioned, E GADs, the early Bullet WN15 from smog hollow would now be parked on platform 1.
No view of the station being possible from my vantage point.
Finally, after the Bullet would have blasted off to return to Lithgow, the trio got the road to return along the Main.
Finally, the rail set job second person appeared hoofing up to grab the electric release for ground frame G.
I presumed that they would emerge to then set back behind the Main Down Starter to then blast off at 1900.
NUP, out they waddled to perch opposite me.
As soon as the second person had restored G frame and reached the front, HONK, and they were into it.
WHAT ?
BUT, did that 1971 DL500G Aussie Alco sound BONZER belching out a plume of exhaust.
The aussie built RVB five chimer air horns ain't bad neither.
https://www.railwayforum.net/gallery...march_2021.jpg
Mongrels, they were going 25 EARLY.
AND, just HOW did they get the Down Loop Starter which they passed while G frame was reversed ?
You should ONLY be able to get the Calling On indication for shunting purposes.
I could not squiz just what the indication was in BT41 from my vantage point.
CRIKEY, the chase was on.
Would they now go away at Georges, I DOUBTED it.
I hurled the gear into the car and sprinted off in pursuit.
They were long gone from Georges Plains when I rattled through.
I slammed onto the Newbridge road and screamed up the big hill.
They were through where Tumulla Loop used to exist as I approached.
That had been me intended spot to grab audio.
As I screamed up hill, I finally got ahead of them, but only just.
With 5500 hp, they were making light work of the guestimated 512 tonne load.
I continued from the top of Tumulla across to Gresham and to the cutting curves.
Not the desired 1 in 40 of Tumulla, but still a 1 in 60 climb.
As I slammed into the gravel perway access and slammed on the anchors, I could hear them.
I just had time to set up the video camera tripod and hurl the audio recorder onto the edge of the cutting.
Track speed being 60 kph, HMMMM !
That was it, no point going any further, the conditions were woeful.
I packed up and motored back home.
As I approached Perthville, a pair of NR class appeared dragging the Silver Streak.
AH, now I constumbled the reason for the tabled dwell time at Georges, to cross the Silver Streak.
The Silver Streak had been amexed since the plague and consequent state borders being slammed shut.
It was to recommence rattling in april.
But, I guess that with the current lack of community plague here and borders reopened early, it is percolating early.
SO, that makes a total of SEVEN trains in the space of 2 hours 45 minutes.
UNHEARD of for Bathurst.
I couldn't be bothered with the Rocket and had forgotten about the Bullet.
But, I did espy the other five and took pot shots at three of em.
Just getting that magnificent Aussie Alco chant audio made the effort all worthwhile.
So, YES, I finally did get a tad excited about trains again.
But, I don't think that such will endure for long.
hooroo,
Steve.

Old 13th March 2021, 11:43

Good on yer Steve, always good to see something different to the norm. Sounds like it was well worth chasing!

Tony
Old 14th March 2021, 09:03

Yo Steve. Good to see that getting back out and chasing trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieSteve
I had splurged also recently on a newbie audio recording dingus, and was eager to give it a test.
Come on, yer taunting me now. You know that I'm an Audio Engineer. Whatcha got ?

Cheers, John
Old 15th March 2021, 07:22

G'day Tony and BW,
I have been out there into the gloom yet again, yesterday.
Armed with the JHR CTN for an Hystericals big circle tour, similar to what I shot at last november.
As many would know, I DETEST EMD earache machines, and would not hoof six feet to take pot shots at one.
Especially 81 class shoeboxes and 82 class dogbones, that I spent most of my final NSW footplate time on.
But, I hafta confess that I will contemplate EMD nose jobs.
YES, still earache machines in the cab, but at least with a modicum of style.
Plus, being vintage, I only spent footplate time on them when rostered for an hysterical tour.
I crawled out of the cot at 0615 to hurl open the door and espy a predawn misery.
The solid grey gloom loitering after the big thunder boomer which raged through around midnight.
Offering NIL NADA ZIP chance of any sunshine for them hystericals.
Ah what the heck, I decided to still trudge up the hill to Raglan even if only for the audio.
With a stupid cycle race infesting town, many of the roads were closed to traffic.
Mine wasn't, which meant that I was copping all the redirected traffic fostering very fitful sleep.
I hurled the gear into the car and departed at 0715 allowing ample time should there be any road delays.
The nose jobs, 4204 A16C built 1956 and 42103 AJi6C built 1966 due to waddle through Raglan at 0807.
Hefting a whopping train comprising 15 silver cars grossing 907 tonne (so said the CTN).
Them nosers would sound pretty good battling up the 1 in 50 to Raglan, at least from outside the loco cab.
Each only granted a max trailing tonnage of 768 tonne for that climb.
Arriving at Raglan, I firstly took a gander at the curve at the top of the hill.
But elected to move down the hill a tad on the straight where more of the train would be visible.
The stinking JHR works compound adjacent the old station being razor wired and locked.
That was the vantage spot prior to privatization.
I hoofed across the private crossing down the hill from the station to check the view.
IF any sunshine erupted forth (HA) it would be on the opposite side of the line.
NUP, I would need to either loiter on the edge of the crossing OR trespass to get the entire train.
Be my luck that the property owner would want to drive across to go to town.
So, I chose a spot on the Raglan town side of the line up against the boundary fence.
Somebody had snipped the two top wires of the fence to create a bit of a gap.
And, I was able to plonk one tripod leg inside the rail corridor straddling the remaining fence strands.
Suddenly I espied a headlight approaching, but almost nil noise.
AH, the Bullet WN14 was rattling up the hill heading to smog hollow.
A hasty tripod levelling, I only just hit the camera trigger as the Bullet was almost upon me.
Anyhoo, I was not there for the stupid two car DMU Endeavour set.
I then relevelled the tripod correctly and set up the small tripod for me audio recorder.
The grey was getting worse as the mist was turning into fog.
I stood there waiting and waiting and waiting.
HMMMM.
I could espy the Raglan UP Starter if I moved out a couple of paces.
It still glowed RED as me watch minute hand swept past 0800.
HMMMM.
YEP, yet another pathetic privatized railway episode was occurring.
The mist developed into light drizzle, so I had to sprint to the car to grab me spray jacket to hurl over the camera.
At 0820, I heard a distant noise, and checking the Starter, it flashed to Green.
BUT, that noise was NOT the type of noise that I was expecting.
And, when a headlight hove around the bend 5 minutes later, NOT the anticipated headlight.
HMMMMM.
A pair of PN 81 class JT26C-2ss mongrel shoeboxes that I would not hoof six feet for slogged up the hill.
A wheatie heading east, the hoppers covered in graffiti.
E GADs, had I been duped ?
Where the heck were them hystericals ?
What to do, stay put in the misty drizzle, or GIVE UP ?
I went and fetched the car up to where I was set up and angled so that I could squiz the UP Starter from inside.
Being an Oh what a feeling 4x4, I would not have any problem retreating from the muddy grass later.
I wiped over the camera etc and hurled it into the car and just sat there watching the UP Starter.
I also had the window open a crack so that I could hear anything, just incase.
Finally at 0840, I heard them anticipated hooters.
A blast for Lloyds Road level crossing some 8 kms away as the crow flies, and the UP Starter went green.
I jumped out and set up the gear again, covering the video camera with the jacket.
A second hooter blast echoed up to me as the train was approaching Bathurst station.
Then as them nose jobs crossed the river and through Kelso, I heard them throttle up.
A few minutes later, that anticipated headlight came around the bend.
Running 50 LATE to table, they stomped past me, the hogger giving me a salutation on them hooters.
https://www.railwayforum.net/gallery...march_2021.jpg
Just how many plague distanced patrons were inside them silver cars, WHO knows.
I didn't espy many heads at the windows.
Yes, I gotta confess, it was worth the effort even if just for that audio.
I packed up and drove home.
Some might say that I am an idiot for being out in such conditions just for a stupid train.
But, what else am I gunna do with me spare time.
Steve.
PS, BW, the newbie dingus is a Philips DVT 2805 / 4110, that cost me $189.oo.
I was considering a Tascam unit, but had to order that and it cost $222.oo.
The Philips is identical to the Tascam, three inbuilt but poking out mikes.
8Gb internal with Micro SD card slot for additional storage.
Three versions of PCM WAV, including the normal 44.1 Khz 16 bit, which I am using.
YES far less elaborate than me good ole Sony Minidisc.
But, ya can't get the blank discs no more here.
I am happy with the Philips for the occasional poking at a train, but more likely for feathered friends chirping while camping.