20:22

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

ELR DMU Theme Day, 19 March

Old 26th February 2011, 11:10

ELR DMU Theme Day, 19 March

Building on the success of previous years the ELR is hosting another DMU Theme Day on Saturday 19th March 2011. These often overlooked diesel railcars were revolutionary for their time and are credited with saving many branch lines and socially necessary routes from the Beeching Axe in the 1960s, as well as becoming the workhorses of many commuter routes.
This year’s offering will see our home fleet of diesel multiple units, including the class 121/122 (Bubble & Squeak) combination and the Metro-Cammell Class 101 unit, which is probably making one of its last appearances on the railway prior to returning to the National Railway Museum at Shildon.Making it’s debut on the ELR will be our latest arrival, Derby-built Class 108 “power-twin” (51562/51922), on loan from the NRM Collection and based on the ELR for at least the next five years, replacing the popular and ever reliable 101. The 108 comprises cars numbered 51562 and 51922, the former being the 1000th DMU vehicle built at Derby works in November 1959. The two vehicles are currently in different liveries (51562 in BR Blue, 51922 in a faded BR Green), and this will be a rare chance to see them like this before entering the ELR workshops for a repaint into the original BR green livery.
So head for the front seats, sit right behind the driver, and get a great view of the route ahead on our fleet of first-generation DMUs.
Above from ELR web site)

Great to see a 108 on this Line but not sure about it being painted Green much rather se it in BR Blue & Grey Personaly.

Old 28th February 2011, 20:10

I believe that they were class 108 diesels that ran the last passenger train run over the line by BR, I remember a very foggy Sunday morning waiting at Stubbins station and using almost a roll of film "for posterity". I have the photos somewhere in my "archives.
There must have been 20 - 30 other photographers there that morning, there must have been hundreds between Bury and Ramsbottom.
Old 2nd March 2011, 15:44

[QUOTE=Tony;59131]I believe that they were class 108 diesels that ran the last passenger train run over the line by BR, I remember a very foggy Sunday morning waiting at Stubbins station and using almost a roll of film "for posterity". I have the photos somewhere in my "archives.
There must have been 20 - 30 other photographers there that morning, there must have been hundreds between Bury and Ramsbottom.[/QUOTE

Its is just a pitty in my mind that they are odd looking cars ie, one with head code Box and one without much prefere the type with the head code box my self.