05:50

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

class 153's and 156's

Old 13th January 2010, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
In that case what's your excuse for being miserable and nasty to one of our younger forum members?
Daft questions deserve daft answers?

If I went into a Christian Church and decided to proclaim Islam was a better religon, because I didn't have to spend quite so much money and the holidays were better, I'd get a similar response, from a preist no less.

Last edited by Deathbyteacup; 13th January 2010 at 14:03.
Old 13th January 2010, 20:00

Deathbyteacup- If I may say so put the shovel down.
It was in the right area for the kind of traction and such enthusiasm from the younger generation deserves encouragement.
Its not very good for the future if you go and scare them off is it?
Not everyone who comes along to the forum is going to be a swot on rail and may wish to learn.
Please don't compare religious debates to a simple disagreement over railways- thats a bit far even for a die hard enthusiast (or fanatic) like me.
In other words be nice!

Last edited by steam for ever; 13th January 2010 at 20:03. Reason: spelling
Old 13th January 2010, 20:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
Daft questions deserve daft answers?

If I went into a Christian Church and decided to proclaim Islam was a better religon, because I didn't have to spend quite so much money and the holidays were better, I'd get a similar response, from a preist no less.
I admit that it could have been better written but the lad asked a perfectly valid and sensible question. Who the hell do you think you are to describe it as "Daft"?
As for using the religious comparison, well, I'm sorry mate but you appear to have lost it. Seek help before it's too late.
Old 13th January 2010, 20:57
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
In an ideal world I would hope that a reasoned discussion might take place. I am assuming that neither group included fundamentalists! It is about time the world religions got together to celebrate the beliefs they have in common and take a unified stance against fundamentalism! A naive thought perhaps but why not? Reigious thought over!

My first love is steam but I do believe that DMU's and EMU's are the future of our railways. If the use of 141's keeps a line open then so be it. I would rather travel down a beautiful valley in a 141 than see the line closed. I have traveled on them on the Esk Valley from Middlesbough to Whitby a number of times. I have travel in much worse forms of transport I can tell you!

So folks try and keep things in perspective and be more moderate in your comments.

I will endeavour to do the same!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 14th January 2010, 17:54

Six years ago myself, wife and two dogs travelled from Preston to Newton Abott in a 158. I fell out with 158's on that day! The Virgin Voyager had broken down.
Old 14th January 2010, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmick View Post
I cant see the point of building a nice layout and then buying 153s and 156s to run on it
Dont you think its better to have a nice steam loco and coaches i know which i would rather have.

ccmmick.
but the only down side with me is that i have a small layout not much room and the biddest train i can fit on there is a 156 or a 2 car dmu in my station.

but by having lots of them and in different livery it starts to get colourful and bright.

because i have seen some layouts at shows and there is 153, 156, 158 etc etc, and there all the same livery 'northern rail' (i think) it looks rubbish

Last edited by railwaybuddy; 19th January 2010 at 17:26.
Old 14th January 2010, 19:05

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
In that case what's your excuse for being miserable and nasty to one of our younger forum members?
thank you

i like you not that other git
Old 14th January 2010, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmick View Post
I am sorry railwaybuddy

I didnt realise that you are one of our younger members if 153s and 156s make you happy then good on you.

ccmmick.
no no dont worry

i like to here your views on what you think about them
Old 14th January 2010, 19:11

It's YOUR layout, Railwaybuddy, run whatever you want, and don't take any notice of what us old farts would like on OUR railways! I haven't got anywhere near enough room for even a tiny layout in my one-bedroom flat, but I HAVE got a GWR 14xx 0-4-2T adorning my bookcase and a little LNER 4472 'Flying Scotsman' on the mantlepiece!

Last edited by Dave Rowland; 14th January 2010 at 19:14. Reason: spilling mistoke
Old 14th January 2010, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
Rebuilt from 155's SFE - a bit more luxurious than the awful 150's (some drivers refer to 150's as 'Burger Vans'!)
i was not 155 (some were (only the prototypes))

it was the 156

because if you look at a 156 it has a large cab then a small corridor conector which gets turned in to a cab

156=2'153's