00:16

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

So, what got you interested in railways?

Old 14th June 2010, 17:01

What got me interested?

I don't remember not being interested in railways! Steam disapeared from British Railways when I was ten but before that I had the occasional train journey with my parents, I remember being excited about seeing a class 37 diesel on the front of our train rather than an old fashioned steam engine. Nowadays I still like class 37s but I would rather be steam hauled.

I worked for British Rail Divisional Civil Engineers for three years in the mid '70s after leaving school, I loved working for BR but it became boring as we were overstaffed and had to look busy when there was not much to do.

I still have quite an interest in the main line and always travel by train when possible, however in the last ten years or so my greater interest has moved towards railway preservation.

I also like model railways, mostly assisting other people with theirs at the moment.

Old 15th June 2010, 00:06

im gonna post again, in australia we have the zig zag railway, and also that all of us that want a history lesson happen to travel 3hrs to lithgow, to get on 1049 and go to clarence and back to bottom points. the funny thing is that its all original stations.

the librarian is having car troubles...

yep thats what she said yesterday. and last week.
Old 15th June 2010, 08:20
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcousins View Post
im gonna post again, in australia we have the zig zag railway, and also that all of us that want a history lesson happen to travel 3hrs to lithgow, to get on 1049 and go to clarence and back to bottom points. the funny thing is that its all original stations.
Visited The Zig-Zag Railway about four years ago. Really enjoyed it. There are some photos in my Gallery.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 23rd June 2010, 19:46

Being dragged along to East Croydon station, in 1953. Mostly green southern EMU's. Except for the Brighton Belle. Plus M7's shunting in the goods yard. C2X's, Q1's and U1's on short goods trains. The occasional Standard class short passenger service. And, of course. The regular appearance of 10000 or 10001.
A platform ticket only cost a penny

Last edited by Bulleid Fan; 23rd June 2010 at 19:57.
Old 28th June 2010, 22:10

I would be fascinated to know. All that I do know is that I have had a deep interest in trains for as long as I can remember. My first recollections are of Underground trains in London.

Having worked for BR for 14 years (Traction & Traincrew, General Manager [LMR], Crewe) the interest simply grew.

Kind greetings to all.

N.
Old 29th June 2010, 20:45
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum "The Linguist." Look forward to your posts.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 29th June 2010, 21:21

What a lot of interest this question has raised.
For my part I lived in Market Rasen in the 50's and went to a school in Lincoln every day on a steam hauled engine and back again. I would let my imagination run wild with all the boyish adventures one could muster as the train delivered its power with the gentle rocking to and fro and of course the rythem of the wheels over the track joints. Oh what bliss. My dad worked on the railways and I would often meet him at the sheds by the Brayford Pool in Lincoln and we would ride home together.
I did become a spotter in my teens but left it all behind with the arrival of the diesels. I use to bike to Tuxford on the east coast main line to see the occasional "Streak" fly by or an A1 or other Pacific. Names like William Wordsworth, Kestral and Silver Fox are completely etched in my mind, so too the boat trains we used to catch over to Belgium in the 50's, the green arrow!
Well now I am 60 and have found a revived interest in our wonderful Heritage railways. Yes it takes me back to the "good old days" but more than that our country must have the best of steam anywhere in the world with over three hundred preserved Steam engines and new ones being bulit for the young comming through. Its good to see all the revived stations with all the nostalga attached.
I could go on; it gets in your blood and never goes away.
Long live our heritage lines and all the people involved young and old.
I love it!
Old 7th July 2010, 11:00

My first introduction to the railway hobby was as a 10 year old back in 1963 when my mate, the late Stan Roberts, asked if I wanted to go trainspotting with him to Preston station on a summer Saturday morning. OK I said in a non-commital way - I was more interested in kicking a football around at the time - but it was when he suggested on the morning of the adventure that we "bunk" Preston shed that it all came home to me. As we crept under the foreman's office II came up against the driving wheels at ground level of Coronation pacific "City of Salford" which had recently been withdrawn and stored. I stood in awe and just couldn't believe just how big the b****y thing was, then after noting all the numbers we came out and a Jubilee went by with a holiday express for Blackpool, I was hooked. Although, got to admit it was never the same after 4 August 1968.
Old 15th July 2010, 18:57

I now live in Cornwall, in GWR territory, but was born in barnet, living in
East Barnet about 100 yards from the great LNER. Use to stand on the foot bridge after school, going home as black as the bridge I was standing on. 1pm was shunting time in the small yard at Oakleigh Park. Happy Days.
Old 16th July 2010, 11:22
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum hintonmanor. Look forward to your posts.

Best wishes,

John H-T.