18:36

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Wrexham and Shropshire to cease operations

Old 26th January 2011, 11:05

Wrexham and Shropshire to cease operations

Just heard on BBC news that Wrexham and Shropshire are to stop operating from 28th Jan. Also on their website : http://www.wrexhamandshropshire.co.uk/

I think this is a great shame as a friend of mine who regularly used them says they knock spots off the other operators, and all apparently without any public subsidy.

Old 26th January 2011, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonside1563 View Post
Just heard on BBC news that Wrexham and Shropshire are to stop operating from 28th Jan. Also on their website : http://www.wrexhamandshropshire.co.uk/

I think this is a great shame as a friend of mine who regularly used them says they knock spots off the other operators, and all apparently without any public subsidy.
The lack of public subsidy might very well be the trouble - in their statement, the spokesperson said (basically) that they're ceasing operations on 28th January because they can't see any way that the company will ever make a profit. They haven't gone bust, just getting out before it all gets horrible, I suppose. A great shame, as you said. It's a pity that TOCS can't get by merely by being efficient and user-friendly, so to speak.
Old 26th January 2011, 15:32
Station Manager

Very sad indeed. Have to admire them for getting out before the losses got out of hand.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 26th January 2011, 16:39

it was a great service with professional well trained staff. They deserved to succeed.

regards

www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk
Old 1st February 2011, 12:30

My wife used this when going to her parents on the odd weekend. She always said that Friday afternoon or Monday morning it would be heaving, but any other time of week it wasn't busy at all.
She did also say that its was 10 times better than her usual East Coast trains. Its a shame that the people really trying arn't the ones succeeding. If only they could get they're hands on a more propular route!
Old 5th February 2011, 09:09

I thought anyone trying to make a living on the market for train travel from Wrexham and Shrewsbury to London was always going to be on a hiding to nothing. Neither place is exactly a metropolis and there are plenty of faster and more frequent alternatives either direct from those stations or from nearby ones eg Chester or Wolverhampton. It might have worked if they'd been allowed to pick up somewhere like B'ham New Street but that was never going to happen.
Old 7th February 2011, 04:18

What waste!! used this service few times......

Tags
end, shame, stopped, wrexham