07:47

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Train Crash in Lake District

Old 24th February 2007, 18:40

Apparently it is now being said that it was because of the safety designs of the 390 that stopped this from being a much worse accident. Richard Branson has said that it was not a fault with the 390 that caused this and that it was to do with the track.

Old 24th February 2007, 18:55

All the news reporters are calling the end driving cabs engines. EMUs don't have engines. I was amazed how well the 390 stayed together, not like MK1s.

GBRf_66709
Old 24th February 2007, 21:54

Angry

Typically one sided reporting of the crash asking how the safest for of land transport can recover from its latest fatal crash. I mean they dont say this about road transport when there is a pile up on the M6.
Old 25th February 2007, 01:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat
This has been near enough constant for many years. As traffic volumes are increasing this counts as an "improvement".
There was a serious road crash this morning in Lincolnshire, reported on BBC 'Look North'. Seven injured, four of them (including a small boy) seriously. The news item on it lasted about 15 seconds. Something is seriously skewed in the way accidents are reported.

A piece on the TV news this evening showed a pair of facing points at Greyrigg which are supposedly under investigation. From what I could see, they seemed to have been set for the train to proceed straight on. If that is so, does anyone have any idea on what the cause of the crash could have been?
Old 25th February 2007, 01:57

Trev,
its very dangerous to speculate on anything until you have first hand intimate knowledge of the area, and all systems to back it up, indeed the point may look ok, but there could be intrinsic built in problems, also who is to say that it isnt a vehicle fault, after all the vehicles have not yet been fully inspected, first off is to gauge all the wheels for conformance against GM/RT 2466!
I carry out incident investigations and recovery when the company I work for has a mishap, believe me, never speculate until youve seen the incident site at first hand, seeing from a TV screen tells you nothing at first, but can give vital evedence once all aspects are taken into account.
Only time will give us all the answer.
regards
R
Old 25th February 2007, 11:21

Sir Richard Branson thinks that the points were the cause of the derailment.
He said this after praising the Virgin driver (who was seriously injured, sadly) for staying at the controls and managing to steer the train after it left the tracks !!
Old 25th February 2007, 12:15

On Radio 5 this morning someone was praising the driver for trying to steer the train to safety......Sheeeh

Ivan
Old 25th February 2007, 13:11
Station Manager

I think i'll give up work now then,i see every body is now an expert on railway incerdent's,let's get some proper info before we start saying what happened.

All the best,Ian.
Old 25th February 2007, 13:28

Tikctes are being accepted on GNER, VXC and TPX for anyone wanting to travel north via the ECML whilst the north WCML is closed.
Old 25th February 2007, 22:13

Ian,
I too dispare at the comments made on TV, nothing alarms me more than poor ill informed reporting and quotes by those who do not have first hand knowledge of the subject, as ive said before, ive been involved with incident and recovery work (both at grass rootes hands on {hence the BRUFF in my addy} through to sitting on panels as an "expert" in my field for major incident inquiries) for 26 years, but ive now come to expect this rubbish from the likes of SKY, ITN and even the BBC, and as for the bit that I read in the Sunday Mail today....

R