00:45

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Aerial Photography?

Old 24th April 2014, 10:47

Aerial Photography?

Hi All

Just joined as I wanted to ask a couple of questions. There is a Great Britain Tour coming north on Monday 28th and I was thinking of taking some photos of the excursion from the air.

What is the forums view on this? You can take it as read that I am an experienced pilot and will obey the 500 foot minimum but would having an aircraft following the train for half an hour annoy customers and spotters?

I know enough to know that some like to record the noise of the train and not sure the background buzz of a Lycoming Flat 6 would add much to their soundtracks.

Equally some stills and video taken from a Dornier 27 posted on Utube and flicker a handy bonus.

Regards Dornier

Old 25th April 2014, 09:22

Hello Dornier and welcome to the forum.
Your plan is reminisent of the old days when black and white footage was shown of an light aircraft following an express from London to Edinburgh.Something enjoyed by many.
I for one would be more than happy to view this type of photography and look forward to your posts.
As for noise from the flat 6.........an added bonus.
Only wish I could join you.
Stuart
Old 26th April 2014, 07:25

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
Well, I hope to be out and about with the camera for this one and I certainly wouldn't be annoyed by your presence, and I shouldn't think anybody else would be either to be honest.

Go for it, and the best of luck, I hope the results are worthy of the effort

KEN
Old 26th April 2014, 09:00

Thanks

Thank you for responding, subject weather we will give it a go on Monday. Hoping to pick the train up north of Shrewsbury and follow it towards Wrexham.

Plan might change depending on the trains schedule and weather. Put a picture on the Gallery of Festiniog line but had to remain hight to avoid hills and nuisance factors. On Monday I hope to sit a little closer to the train.
Old 26th April 2014, 15:57

Look forward to seeing the results - I liked your Ffestiniog pic in the Gallery.
Good Luck!

Tony
Old 28th April 2014, 16:56

Just back...

A few learning points, timing and positioning! Head office said train on time but when got down to Shrewsbury I could see fellow enthusiasts on bridges and vantage points but no train. We then flew down to Church Stretton still no train. Turned about and tracked north thinking we might have missed it but got to just south of Wrexham and no train.

By now wasted an hours fuel so decided to pack it in and landed at Sleap for fuel feeling annoyed. On a chance rang head office who got the train manager to see where they were and she fortunately called back but by now the train was passing Gobowen and we were on the ground at Sleap.

We finally caught up with the train at Chirk but difficult to film from the air as we have to maintain separation from built up areas of which there are many in this vicinity.

Dornier has two unique features, it can fly safely and slowly and it has a photographic door in the floor for overhead shots.

Cameraman in the back Jason Bulley who will put something on utube in due course.

Hope we did not spoil anyone else's enjoyment of the train.
Old 28th April 2014, 17:50

A very warm welcome to the forum.

Your filming idea sounds like a good idea. Will make for a very interesting piece of railway & social history in years to come.
Old 28th April 2014, 19:02
Station Manager

Hello Dornier and welcome to the Railway Forum. Looking forward to seeing the footage taken by you and Jason.
Old 28th April 2014, 20:21

Hi Dornier, any chance you can give a heads up when said footage goes on Youtube.
Old 29th April 2014, 08:16

Certainly, takes Jason a few days to edit but we hope to put some footage up on utube for all to enjoy. The aeroplane probably a better platform for still photography than video as the aircraft vibrates and bumps about.

Early days, something of a learning process.