13:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hello

Old 7th February 2013, 10:07

Welcome to the Forum John. I think you'll find it very comfortable here. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Old 7th February 2013, 10:52

Will get around to describing my time on the railway but will probably have to start a new thread. The Silver Jubilee is something my Father often talked of. He worked on the LNER in the 30s' and 40s'. He told me how they would spend all night preparing the train and then when it reach Kings Cross the train had to be turned and then prepared again. Some Supermarkets have less in them than was in that kitchen car. When the train went through York at 11.23am and 8.06 (and a half pm) the driver would sound the whistle. The people of York were very impressed! John
Old 7th February 2013, 17:23

Hi John
Love the silver jubilee train. Just attached a link from Pathe news at the time. Held the speed record for steam for a while too!
Brilliant
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/worlds-fastest-train
All the best
Phil

Last edited by Silver Fox Phil; 7th February 2013 at 17:23. Reason: forgot link
Old 7th February 2013, 20:35

Thanks Phil but what are you doing with a name like that in LMS Derby. The Silver Fox was a close relative of the Mallard!!!
Old 7th February 2013, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryston View Post
Thanks Phil but what are you doing with a name like that in LMS Derby. The Silver Fox was a close relative of the Mallard!!!
Yes you are right. Back in the late 50s and 60s Lincoln (40A) was my old stomping ground and a spit from the ECML. With Grantham, Retford and Doncaster but a stones throw, I was well placed. Not to mention when engineering works were being carried out Lincoln was the place to be on a Sunday for some serious spotting! My Dad worked on the railways too and so we had free tickets to travel all over the place and that often meant down to London - Dover - Oostend - Brussels to visit our Belgium relatives! Needless to say amongst many other fine examples of Eastern locos the A4s were my favourite along with the Brits. (plenty of A4s down in Finsbury Park and Top Shed in them days!)
Anyway cut a long story short we moved to Derby when our daughter married a Derby lad back in 88.
All the best
Phil
Old 7th February 2013, 22:14
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum John. Already enjoying your contributions!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 8th February 2013, 10:52

I have always had free travel. And it's the most wonderful perk imaginable. Especially now that I am retired. Started to describe my time on the railway but it's such a long story. Started as a Signalbox lad in Halifax 1952 and finished up in Norwich and Cambridge controls by way of most signal boxes in West Yorkshire then Controls at Leeds and York. (both District and Regional) Starting to feel my age now!!!
Old 8th February 2013, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryston View Post
I have always had free travel. And it's the most wonderful perk imaginable. Especially now that I am retired. Started to describe my time on the railway but it's such a long story. Started as a Signalbox lad in Halifax 1952 and finished up in Norwich and Cambridge controls by way of most signal boxes in West Yorkshire then Controls at Leeds and York. (both District and Regional) Starting to feel my age now!!!
This is what members love, are the wonderful and colourful life stories of those days long past. So keep em coming, grand stuff
All the best
Phil
Old 9th February 2013, 11:24

Does anybody remember the South Yorkshireman? A train that ran from Marylebone to Bradford? I had been on duty for 12 hours at Wyke Signal Box when the train had to be held on signals due to difficulties in a snow storm. The train was held for 4 hours waiting a path. I remember making a pot of tea for a woman on the train! When we eventually got moving and I was able to close the box, I had been on duty for 15 hours. Like most people in those days we didn't have a telephone so my wife had no idea what had happened to me.
Old 9th February 2013, 21:55

Hello everybody!

Hello.

I am Linda.

This is my first time.

I been a very keen on steam trains and fast modern trains.

I have been videoing steam trains,for a few years;get excited.

Linda.