10:33

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Framingham ,Mass. USA

Old 30th August 2019, 21:03

Framingham ,Mass. USA

Another beautiful old station in Framingham,Mass. It now houses a restaurant and there is a new stop 500 feet up the line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framingham_station
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Framingham.jpg (190.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2 Framingham.jpg (144.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 3 Framingham.jpg (119.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 4 Framingham.jpg (121.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 6 Framingham.jpg (126.6 KB, 2 views)

Old 30th August 2019, 21:04

A couple more p[ics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 Framingham.jpg (151.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 7 Framingham.jpg (209.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 5 Framingham.jpg (120.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 31st August 2019, 21:35
Station Manager

I like the little putty cat in the first photo Rick, but it should have been on one of the Rhodesian Railways Stations. Somewhere like Dett. I was trapped in a phone box there with a young lion trying to get in. It did not know that the door opened outward. A quick call to the local police station, and two cops arrived, through a few firework bangers, and the lion ran off. Dett station is in the middle of a game park (the biggest in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) . There were a number of times when wildlife entered the town. Normally antelope or other small animals looking for water. Not too many of the bigger cats, buy quite a few Elephants. They liked to steal from the veg gardens. We just made a big noise with bagging on tins with sticks which they did not like and promptly departed. I spent a year as a fireman stationed in Dett.
Old 31st August 2019, 21:56

Thanks for the photos Rick. I love to see how other countries build their railways.

BW
Old 3rd September 2019, 00:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011 View Post
I like the little putty cat in the first photo Rick, but it should have been on one of the Rhodesian Railways Stations. Somewhere like Dett. I was trapped in a phone box there with a young lion trying to get in. It did not know that the door opened outward. A quick call to the local police station, and two cops arrived, through a few firework bangers, and the lion ran off. Dett station is in the middle of a game park (the biggest in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) . There were a number of times when wildlife entered the town. Normally antelope or other small animals looking for water. Not too many of the bigger cats, buy quite a few Elephants. They liked to steal from the veg gardens. We just made a big noise with bagging on tins with sticks which they did not like and promptly departed. I spent a year as a fireman stationed in Dett.
Wow. Never had that problem here! The only dangerous beasts around here are morning commuters running late for work. Best to avoid them.
Old 3rd September 2019, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby View Post
Thanks for the photos Rick. I love to see how other countries build their railways.

BW

How do our old stations compare to the ones you see?
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
How do our old stations compare to the ones you see?
Wow, that's a question. I think it's a matter of style. A station is really just a place where you wait for trains - hopefully without getting cold or wet.

I'm a great fan of the USA, and I think one reason is the way that there are so many different influences in design, due to the many nationalities of people who emigrated there.

Also - at least to my eyes, architecture in the UK tends to be rather understated, whereas in the States you make things which are big and bold.

Compare Grand Central in NYC, with St Pancras in London. I love them both, and their style mirrors the ethos of the countries they're built in.

HTH, BW
Old 5th September 2019, 03:40

It's nice that many of the old stations still exist. Old buildings have a short shelf life here in the states.
Old 6th September 2019, 05:19

G'day Rick,
We have some preserved stations in regional areas down-under.
One in my region, Rydal, is occupied and utilized as a BnB style.
Plus, it remains as a "flag stop" halt for the Rocket (XPT).
No railway staff.
I had thought that the newbie crossing loop being inserted in the single line section from Wallerawang to Tarana might be reinstated as was at Rydal.
The section originally being double track with Down and UP direction platforms at Rydal.
But, the newbie crossing loop is south west of the station, which remains just a single track platform.
I am also curious about a specific style of platform that I squizzed in a recent flick on TV.
It was dubbed ICE SHOWERS.
And portrayed the New York etc state region during the 1970s.
A supposed Pen Central emu commuter train, two cars, was featured briefly.
The rural station, which I now forget the name of, had a weird arrangement for the elevated platform.
Individual dais style short platforms existed for each car door of the train, with steps descending to the ground from each dais.
I am wondering if this was indeed a Pennsy, Pen Central, NYC, style elevated platform, or that such was purely produced for the flick.
I have googled to no avail in regard to such a platform design.
Perchance, as added impact for the severe ice conditions supposedly experienced.
I am aware that Pennsy, Pen Central had high level platforms on commuter lines.
Whereas, the majority of other USRR station platforms are ground level or slightly above.
But, this style portrayed in the flick would pose operational dramas should the train overshoot the platform dais sections.
The cattle then tumbling down to the ground from the car doors.
Steve.
Old 18th September 2019, 03:04

more info.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W..._Framingham_MA

http://www.nearchitecture.com/buildi...d_station.html