21:57

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

The Will Valey Railway.

Old 1st December 2008, 21:48
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Dear John, (no, not one of those!)
Nice start, good photos. Could I suggest that platforms are easily and cheaply made by using picture mounting card. Easily available from any art picture framer, it is 2mm thick, solid card which comes in a wide variety of colours. A full sheet will last a lifetime of modelling, most shops have offcuts which are ideal for modelling. Best used with UHU glue for a strong construction.
Cut a few strips each the width of the platform height (don't forget to allow for the 2mm thickness ot the platform surface), and form the front and back of the platform with cross members every 3 inches (or 75mm in new money).
This gives a very strong,rigid construction. With the card, you can cut any shape so curved platforms are easy to make.
Best of luck with your project, I look forward to seeing future results.
Thanks for that Tony. I had something like that in mind but you details are great. They will be especially useful for Wilford Junction which does have partly curved platforms.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

Old 20th September 2009, 21:03
Station Manager

Have at long last got round to starting building the baseboards! Full size Railways keep taking up my time! Determined to get them done in the next few weeks so I can settle down to a winter of layout building.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 20th September 2009, 21:10

Great news John. The more railway modelling on the forum, the better.
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:48

Hi John,

Looks like you have an interesting project going on. Keep us posted.

Alex
Old 24th September 2009, 13:50

I know what you mean about the winter modelling John. lately I've been thinking about dismantling my layout "Makerfield" and building something more scenic*, on two levels. It's a massive undertaking though, and I'll need to be brave...

*I'm not happy with some of the decisions made on that one, namely putting the loco shed at the back in a far corner so it is difficult to see & operate, and some of the clearances around bridges and platforms (and the signal gantry, maddeningly... are not right so I can only run certain trains on those lines. All lessons learned though...

Good luck with your project & keep us posted. You were a great help with my layout & it's appreciated!

Pete