19:10

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Deltic Missed Opportunities.

Old 14th May 2017, 22:51

Deltic Missed Opportunities.

As a member for many years of the Deltic Preservation Society, I enjoy reading up on any Deltic history.
The story that always makes me take a breath is the intended compound Deltic engine where they proposed to inserted a turbo within the triangular aperture between cylinders.
The stats are quite impressive as per the following quote;

The E185 Deltic Compound was designed in 1956 using the basic 18 cylinder engine. A 12 stage axial compressor was housed inside the triangle supplying compressed air to the cylinders and combustion chamber, with the exhaust gas driving a three stage axial turbine. Unlike the Nomad the gas turbine was not coupled to the engine and acted as a super turbo charger. This version of the Deltic produced 5,300 BHP and excellent fuel consumption. However the Admiralty decided to use gas turbines despite their high fuel consumption, and lost interest in the compound Deltic.

The Deltic engines were used extensively by the the military marine engineering boat builders, but only in their standard configuration.
What a phenominal power unit they could have been if development had continued on the Compound.
Imagine two Class 55s with Compounds, 10,600 BHP trains.
It would have put a whole new meaning on the Race Horse Deltics.

Last edited by Master Cutler; 14th May 2017 at 22:55.
Old 21st January 2018, 20:24

Hello again Master Cutler , i`m not the engineering type but did read that a Class 55 produced 3300bhp from its 2 Napier Deltic engines and the Class 70 produces about 3600 bhp from it power unit wouldn`t it have been wonderfull to see Class 55`s instead of those not so good looking 70`s

Anyway i have a question how do i find out where a Class 55 will be this year i have never heard one in action i don`t need to go on a tour being pulled by one just see one in action , so to speak.

Cheers again Tony

i am catching up on the forum !!!!!
Old 21st January 2018, 20:57

Hi Tony, Barrowhill Roundhoue at Stavely is the home of the DPS and accept visitors on Saturdays.
They have open days when the locos are on show and also haul carriages up and down the branch line.
Old 21st January 2018, 21:05

i went on the DPS website but never cottoned on the Barrowhill im going to read it properly now
Old 21st January 2018, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle125 View Post

Anyway i have a question how do i find out where a Class 55 will be this year i have never heard one in action i don`t need to go on a tour being pulled by one just see one in action , so to speak.

Cheers again Tony

i am catching up on the forum !!!!!
Hi Tony,

I do know that one of the Deltics is coming south in the summer: 55019 'Royal Highland Fusilier' is visiting the Spa Valley Railway (Tunbridge Wells-Eridge) during August, to include their Summer Diesel Gala over the weekend of 3-5 August. Obviously Barrow Hill would be closer than Tunbridge Wells to Mansfield for you!

Tony
Old 30th January 2018, 08:10

Napier developed an aeronautical version of the Nomad for the Avro Shackelton which was tested on an Avro Lincoln.if it had been put in production it was estimated that the shackelton could fly on only one engine thus prolonging patrol time and efficiency.Cancelled by the government just as trials were started!!