16:40

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

MP wants rail safety improvements (BBC News)

Old 27th November 2008, 21:01

MP wants rail safety improvements (BBC News)

An MP meets with Network Rail to discuss safety concerns after two people die at a railway crossing.

More from BBC News...

Old 28th November 2008, 09:05

The best way of dealing with this would be for EVERY railway crossing of this type to be fully investigated. Then, whoever makes any recommendations with regard to changes, has the deceny to put their name to it. We are living in a time when no one wants to be held to account. Meanwhile another family has a "life long" heartache to bear.
Its no good keep having inquiry after inquiry. Someone, somewhere has to take responsibility. I dont mean by this, someone to send to prison when the next person is killed. I mean a good old fashioned response to what is yet again a "cock up" of monumental proportions, but a fatal one.
It seems as though this has been of concern for a while. I dont know all the facts, but if it has been of concern at council level, then someone should be accountable if they have taken no notice.
Rant over!
Paul.
Old 28th November 2008, 17:38

Its Ok having enquiry after enquiry, but the big stumbelling block is who is to pay for the upgradesm to these crossings.

As usual it will probably fall to the railway to stump up the thousands of pounds required for the renovations to what is really a safe crossing place IF IT IS USED PROPERLY.

THINK SAFELY

1. Is there somewhere else that I can cross
2. Look before you cross, Trains hurt you,we can't steer out of your way
3. Do I really need to cross the railway

Les
Old 28th November 2008, 18:42

Do they still have the signs saying
Stop, Look, Listen or about the trespassing on the railways?
Good advicethat has saved many lives but often ignored these days as are signs telling people to keep off the railway tracks. A good example was at Peterborough when two engines arrived via the rarely used connection to the ECML. A family out for a walk along the track were surprised to find a couple of jundred tons of diesels bearing down on them. luckily the engines were going slowly but if the branch gets used more frequently the engines will not be travelling at walking pace. A few days later to boys came out at the jubction with the NVR on their bikes, riding down the middle of the tracks until they reached the turn out, when I remarked that engines still used the line all I got was two fingers raised in salute.
I'm afraid that if you do not follow the simple rules then sadly fatalities will continue to happen and the drivers always have to live with what they cannot avoid.
John (G)
Old 28th November 2008, 20:34

Unfortunately John G we will never make all crossings safe, and I agree with both you and Les G in as much that if they are used correctly then these crossings are as safe as they ever will be.
I just think that if someone, somewhere, has expressed a concern about an individual crossing then whoever is responsible for this crossing, be it the rail authorities or the county council, then they should be accountable.
I hope we dont have to have another tragedy of this kind before we all learn.
Paul.
Old 30th November 2008, 18:09
Station Manager

All I can say is that I am very glad that, at The Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, we have decided to go back to Gated Crossing opperated by the train crew, even if it is slower and a bit of a fiddle, especially in the dark. Had my first experience of "doing the gates in the dark" this week.

Best wishes,

John H-T.