09:13

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Anyone working from home ?

Old 31st March 2020, 14:22

Anyone working from home ?

I wonder how many forum members are working from home?

Here at the Saltmine we've been told by ASLEF that we should maintain our Social Distance at work wherever possible. That's actually quite difficult to do since our changeovers are face-to-face by definition.

The company has suggested it will have Train Crew working from home if they can. This is not as silly as it sounds. There are two possibilities..

1) TSO (Temporary Signing On). If our first movement doesn't start at our Home Depot, we can make our way directly to our first train and 'Book On' there - Providing that it is a recognised Signing-On point, AND it must have a Late Notice Case (where Temp/Emergency Speed Restrictions etc are first displayed).

2) The introduction of "Stay at home" Spare turns. This is something that freight companies do, but I've never seen for Passenger ones. If we're not allocated a job, we can stay at home provided that we are reachable and are wearing our uniforms. If work comes up we must get to where we're needed as quickly as possible.

Which all seems very sensible. Nonetheless some wag on the net decided to cheer us all up by posting a picture of how he takes his work home. Good old Photoshop.

I hope you are all keeping safe.

Best wishes, BW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66 Work from home.jpg (55.2 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 31st March 2020 at 14:26.
Old 31st March 2020, 16:04

After a week working from home I've been out to work at a customer's this morning sorting some manufacturing equipment for medical devices.
Back at home now though and waiting for the next medical moulder to call for technical support.
Great picture BW, it adds a whole new meaning to personal and private use of company vehicle.
I'd love to see the P11D for vehicle and fuel benefits in kind from HMRC.
Old 1st April 2020, 10:20

Good stuff, MC. It's nice to be able to keep doing something which maintains the semblance of 'normal' life.

The Health Service is getting a lot of publicity now, and quite rightly so.

I hope that the world, and especially politicians remember how critical they all are when this has eventually passed.

Being an old cynic I doubt it.... but I'd love to be wrong.

Keep safe, BW
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:02

Hi BW,

Not working from home, but off work as I am in one of the 'vulnerable groups'.
Sending thanks and best wishes to those who are continuing to provide all the essential services - NHS, police, pharmacies, public transport, shops, deliveries etc. - thank you all.

Tony