09:05

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

NLL freight

Old 7th September 2009, 20:37

Question NLL freight

nt so long ago i had to travel on the london overground to go somewhere and although i didn't have time for much trainspotting i saw quite a few intermodal trains, all under the power of a single class 66 on the 3rd rail DC sections where i saw them but every train had a class 90 dead in tow, either behind the 66 or on the rear of the train. i didn't see any freight trains on overhead AC sections but i don't know what to make of the class 90. does it give extra power on the overhead sections or did i just see a load of random class 90s just being transferred?

also those new 378s are cool. very wierd at first though (seating plan)!

Old 9th September 2009, 03:27

The no.1 lines between Camden Road East Jn and Dalston Jn are currently closed for long term engineering works, therefore all trains that were normally electrically hauled are being dragged via the no.2 lines (which have no OHL) or diverted via Gospel Oak, South Tottenham etc.
Old 13th September 2009, 16:51

Ok, thankyou. but whats with the class 90?
Old 20th September 2009, 21:50

The class 90 works the train from either Ipswitch, or Trafford Park to either Wembly, or Stratford Orient Way sidings where the 66 is attache to drag the train through the none electrified section. After the 66 is uncoupled the 90 then takes the train forward to where ever it is going.