16:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Low Emmission Class 66?

Old 29th April 2006, 13:27

I remember when Network rail were relaying the track between Crewe and Cheadle Hulme in Winter, they used 66's, they used to leave the engines runing all day, and these are noisy locos, why do this?

Old 29th April 2006, 14:10
Station Manager

It is more than likley that if you turn them off,the other system's dont work i.e heating and light's,just my opion i might be wrong.
All the best,Ian
Old 1st May 2006, 19:01

can these supply power for coachign stock? I have heared that Mk3's have limited loco choice but I know that class 67's and 47's can power these locos. How about 66's?
Old 2nd May 2006, 20:05

No - no ets at all on these - hence EWSs choice of the (even worse) 67...
Old 3rd May 2006, 22:36

Claass 66 are only designed to do a max speed of 75mph, class 66/6 are lower geared and only do 60mph.
They would not be suitable for passenger workings in general use (ie ok for specials) as there is no ETS (or HEP) supply, the 67s do have HEP.
If the locos are shut down, this will cause a loss of air to the brakes over a period of time, also no anciliaries will run , such as heating, lighting will cause the batteries to become flat, and if you drop out the BIS, you will loose the lights anyway, yes theyappear to be noisy, but in truth they are no noisier than other locos, and the noise you can here is actually the comppressor, under load and then unloading (thats the "ying ying"), the compressors cannot be isolated, as they are a direct drive from the crankshaft of the engine.

66 951 and 952 are both lower emmission locos , built the EMD tier 2 spec, which conforms to the UIC regs, the tier 3 locos (which havent been built yet) will comply with the latest european & UIC emmissions regs.
951 and 952 are both Freightliner locos, and can be identified by some differences to the construction, yes there is a third door in the engine room, this is because the cooler groups are larger to cope with new emissions and therefore the space envolope in the cooler group access is very restricted, hence the exyra door, the cabs are very slightly different too, having the Scandivanian side two pice windows.
The latest batch of GBRF locos which arrived a couple of weeks ago, are alkso to the new Tier 2 design.

Last edited by Ringoosmeg; 3rd May 2006 at 22:42.
Old 3rd May 2006, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringoosmeg

66 951 and 952 are both lower emmission locos ,
Thanks for that Ringo.

So if I get to see 951, then I've completed another class!

Although the only classes I ever did complete were the Deltics and the 44's.
Old 30th July 2006, 22:17

hey, 66/9's are the low emission sub class i beleive, sorry if i am wrong but i am sure i have heard that